Skipping Towards Gomorrah: The Seven Deadly…

Skipping Towards Gomorrah: The Seven Deadly Sins and the Pursuit of… (2003)

by Dan Savage

culture (13) current events (5) essay (7) essays (40) ethics (6) fiction (4) gay (18) glbt (9) hardcover (5) humor (57) lgbt (7) LGBTQ (5) memoir (12) morality (15) non-fiction (94) own (7) politics (39) pop culture (8) queer (11) read (16) religion (13) seven deadly sins (13) sex (13) sexuality (24) sin (10) social commentary (5) sociology (18) to-read (6) unread (6) USA (7)

It seems a damning indictment on my psyche that my first recollection of "Skipping towards Gomorroh", some years after reading it, is not Savage's discussions about gun control or gay rights but rather his reference to his hiking stint that left him with such a groin rash he had to pull his meat and two veg out and cup them in his hand as he walked along.

That aside, I found Savage's main argument; that Americans should be all about the pursuit of happiness, so why are all these conservative writers opposed to so many avenues of happiness?, to be quite convincing, although I still have concerns about his support for gun ownership.

All in all, a valuable addition to the American debate over individual rights. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Jun 5, 2014 |
Savage decides to explore the seven deadly sins and take stock of current American morality as being scolded by the right wing virtuecrats
  ritaer | Apr 20, 2014 |
Though I agree with Dan politically, I found myself skipping the political portions of the book. The parts that stood out for me were his conversations with the people and the amazingly "average" portrayal of the people he encountered.
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
A quick read, and very funny!! Definitely recommended! ( )
1 vote aketzle | Sep 11, 2012 |
When I grow up (I am 33), I want to be a straight, female version of Dan Savage. He is the thinking liberal who doesn't just embrace everything, he takes it apart and studies it and decides whetheer it really makes sense. This is his trip through the seven deadly sins (kind of) and why, maybe, they are so "deadly" after all. Thought provoking, intelligent, and, well, liberal. Dan, if you ever come to Cleveland, I will go be a glutton with you! ( )
1 vote bookwormteri | Dec 21, 2011 |
for my brother, Bill ...

In Skipping Towards Gomorrah, Dan Savage eviscerates the right-wing conservatives as he commits each of the Seven Deadly Sins himself (or tries to) and finds those everyday Americans who take particular delight in their sinful pursuits.  Among them:

Greed:  Gamblers reveal secrets behind outrageous fortune.
Lust: "We're swingers!"-you won't believe who's  doing it.
Anger: Texans shoot off some rounds and then listen to Dan fire off on his own about guns, gun  control, and the Second Amendment.

Combine a unique history of the Seven Deadly Sins, a new interpretation of the biblical stories of Sodom and Gomorrah, and enough Bill Bennett, Robert Bork, Pat Buchanan, Dr. Laura, and Bill O'Reilly bashing to more than make up for their incessant carping, and you've got the most provocative book of the fall.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:33 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,252,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible