The Little World of Don Camillo by…

The Little World of Don Camillo (1948)

by Giovannino Guareschi

Series: Don Camillo (1)

English (12)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (23)
38 disegni di Guareschi
  vecchiopoggi | Jan 15, 2017 |
This is a marvel. I adore the characters, and I am amazed at the depth of the world which is created with very simple story telling. We never hear about what the characters are thinking, but through their actions, we know them. I laughed through many of the stories, but had forgotten how deadly serious the book becomes at the end. Guareschi was not writing to amuse, but it was his cover, and a good one.

Guareschi shows the ugly side of humanity, but right along side of that is the beauty of humanity in the very strained relationship of the Communist Mayor of the town, Peppone, and the priest of the town, Don Camillo. They butt heads and war on ideology, but when it comes right down to it, they look out for each other and the town they live in. I adore the conversations between the Christ on the crucifix and Don Camillo, and the relationship they have. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Nov 9, 2014 |
Whimsical ( )
  Faradaydon | Jan 2, 2012 |
How can the rhetoric of communism and catholicism be aligned? To overcome the problems created by the abyss between the two different set of ideals is the task the author gives his two main characters, the communist leader and the catholic priest. From the fact that both the priest and the communist are quick to action, Guareschi´s comedy arises. A comedy that got Italy laughing at themselves at a critical time in their history - at a time when splitting tragedy easily could have flourished. And alignment? Is it possible to bridge an idological abyss? Well, it demands practical love and common sense for a start - but most of all, for the book to have the effect it had when first published, it is only possible when the author, as well as the readers - both communists and christians - have a keen sense of la divina comedia - and the ability to laugh at themselves, and cry, and laugh and.....

Even if both communists and christians are marginalised as players on the field today, the main issue remains - as well as Guareschi´s answer. ( )
1 vote Mikalina | Jul 21, 2010 |
This book often had me laughing so loud and long that my husband would come downstairs to see what I was reading. I'd be laughing to hard to even tell him and have to just hand over the book. It's a must for every library. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Aug 19, 2009 |

Giovannino Guareschiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dalma, AlfonsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
GipiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oldenburg Ermke, Frans vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, MicheleContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In meinen jungen Jahren war ich Reporter bei einer Zeitung und trieb mich den ganzen Tag auf dem Fahrrad herum, um etwas Berichtenswertes zu finden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,688,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible