The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need…

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need

by Andrew Tobias

Tobias wittily dispenses a lot of common sense in this tenth edition of his book. His advice: first, be thrifty, e.g. buy in bulk at a discount, use the public library, not the bookstore, and pay off your credit cards. Spend less than your income. After you have a year’s annual income safely in your savings account at the bank, then is the time to consider investing in stocks and bonds.

When you’ve saved enough to invest, remember that in the long-term equity will earn more than debt, so buy stocks in a bear market, and leave them there for a long time. Do this because bonds alone will not keep up with inflation. Indexed mutual funds are your best bet, but don’t forget it’s a bet. Ignore financial newsletters, there is no way you can predict what the market will do, when even financial experts are unable to do it. Don’t buy annuities or dabble in commodities futures. ( )
  MaowangVater | Feb 16, 2019 |
Humorous overview of getting estate in order as well as general information on how to approach the stock market. Financial quips to help hold up your end of conversation. If you need a break from the serious side of investment, read this book. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 6, 2017 |
I was concerned about picking up this updated version, having read the first one in the 70s when Tobias first wrote it, but was not disappointed for going through this quick read again. I picked it up because several of my 20-something children were asking for some good references as they begin their investing lives, and was vetting it to see if I might recommend it.

Tobias has updated it, and he speaks plainly about what has changed and what has stayed the same. I found the earlier parts of the book the most useful as they spoke to personal finance and planning. The latter part of the book focused on the stock market, and while very important to the investor, because of my age and experience in the market I was bored. I suspect that if my children read it that they too will be bored by those parts, and may skip over them. They really shouldn't, as they can learn something from Tobias here, but I found myself wondering if someone more "Cramer-like," bombastic, loud...might resonate more. I didn't find it the perfect book to recommend for those 20-somethings, but lacking a good substitute I suppose I will with appropriate caveats. ( )
  1greenprof | May 9, 2017 |
-not the only one, but very helpful, very readable ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 31, 2013 |
Does what it says on the tin. Really useful and witty at the same time. This would be a good book to give people without making them feel like "you're giving me this because you think I'm a loser" (which is an issue with so many helpful-type books.) ( )
  sprite | May 3, 2013 |
To my broker - even if he has, from time to time, made me just that.

For more than twenty-five years, The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need has been America's favorite finance guide, winning the allegiance of more than a million readers across the country. Now this indispensable book has been fully revised and updated-covering all the new tax laws-and reorganized with a new user-friendly design. Concise, witty, and truly understandable, Andrew Tobias shows you how to use your money to your best advantage-no matter how much or how little you have.
o How to spend smarter-and save $1,000 or more
o When to invest in stocks, and how
o The ins and outs of investing on the Internet
o Tax strategies, from tuition to retirement
o Whom-if anyone-you can trust to manage your money
and much, much more

How to spend smarter--and save $1,000 or more
When to invest in stocks, and how
The ins and outs of investing on the Internet
Tax strategies, from tuition to retirement
The basics of life insurance
Who--if anyone--you can trust to manage your money
The inside skinny on annuities, real estate, and Social Security

and much, much more

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

For more than 30 years, this handbook has been a favorite finance guide. This completely revised and updated edition shows readers how to use money to their best advantage in the wake of epochal change on Wall Street, no matter how much or how little they may have.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,447,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible