dismiss

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need

by Andrew Tobias

For nearly forty years, The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need has been a favorite finance guide, earning the allegiance of more than a million readers across America. This completely updated edition will show you how to use your money to your best advantage in today's financial marketplace, no matter what your means. Using concise, witty, and truly understandable tips and explanations, Andrew Tobias delivers sensible advice and useful information on savings, investments, preparing for retirement, and much more.… (more)

2.5! rating will probably change since this is the first book I've read about investing, and I don't know what else is out there.

bleh:

-too long,
-lots of jargon
-confusing
-too many stories (where is the substance?)
- title bold, considering that if you're young or just getting into stocks, the book is too esoterically written to understand
-overall opinion rather than.... well, something other than an overall opinion.

ok, yeah:

-charismatic
-quips
-some ok (if not obvious) tips on managing your money wisely (buy bulk, live within your means, don't buy a yatch etc. etc.)

um? :

-opinion section on taxes and politics
-specific investment suggestions (don't know enough to comment on if they're good or not)
-statistics and other examples that I haven't looked into
  Elizabeth723 | Dec 6, 2019 |
Tobias wittily dispenses a lot of common sense in this tenth edition of his book. His advice: first, be thrifty, e.g. buy in bulk at a discount, use the public library, not the bookstore, and pay off your credit cards. Spend less than your income. After you have a year’s annual income safely in your savings account at the bank, then is the time to consider investing in stocks and bonds.

When you’ve saved enough to invest, remember that in the long-term equity will earn more than debt, so buy stocks in a bear market, and leave them there for a long time. Do this because bonds alone will not keep up with inflation. Indexed mutual funds are your best bet, but don’t forget it’s a bet. Ignore financial newsletters, there is no way you can predict what the market will do, when even financial experts are unable to do it. Don’t buy annuities or dabble in commodities futures. ( )
  MaowangVater | Feb 16, 2019 |
Humorous overview of getting estate in order as well as general information on how to approach the stock market. Financial quips to help hold up your end of conversation. If you need a break from the serious side of investment, read this book. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 6, 2017 |
I was concerned about picking up this updated version, having read the first one in the 70s when Tobias first wrote it, but was not disappointed for going through this quick read again. I picked it up because several of my 20-something children were asking for some good references as they begin their investing lives, and was vetting it to see if I might recommend it.

Tobias has updated it, and he speaks plainly about what has changed and what has stayed the same. I found the earlier parts of the book the most useful as they spoke to personal finance and planning. The latter part of the book focused on the stock market, and while very important to the investor, because of my age and experience in the market I was bored. I suspect that if my children read it that they too will be bored by those parts, and may skip over them. They really shouldn't, as they can learn something from Tobias here, but I found myself wondering if someone more "Cramer-like," bombastic, loud...might resonate more. I didn't find it the perfect book to recommend for those 20-somethings, but lacking a good substitute I suppose I will with appropriate caveats. ( )
  1greenprof | May 9, 2017 |
-not the only one, but very helpful, very readable ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 31, 2013 |
To my broker - even if he has, from time to time, made me just that.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,985,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible