Thanks to the Animals

by Allen J. Sockabasin

Other authors: Rebekah Raye (Illustrator)

1199186,264 (3.75)None
In 1900 during the Passamaquoddy winter migration in Maine, Baby Zoo Sap falls off the family bobsled and the forest animals hearing his cries, gather to protect him until his father returns to find him.

In the deep woods of winter, forest animals protect an infant named Zoo Sap from freezing to death in the snow. The animals work together, keeping him warm and safe. This book has themes of cooperation and mutualism. It helps show that we can assist one another through times of difficulty.
  Kathrin.McCoy | Oct 18, 2017 |
Summary:
This Passamaquoddy tale tells of the winter migration when these people moved inland for shelter during the winter. Young Zoo Sap falls off the sled unnoticed and ends up left on the trail. The animals hear his cries and come to provide warmth and shelter until his father returns for him. This book also includes an Author’s Note about the Passamaquoddy people and why they migrated from the shore as well as a glossary of animal names in the Passamaquoddy language.

Personal Response:
I always feel a sense of responsibility to make sure I represent a story correctly when it is one that has been passed down or is based on the traditions of a native group of people. I didn’t know anything about the Passamaquoddy when I opened this book, and I am thankful for the bit of information I did learn. The story was simply stated, and the illustrations are full of kind faces and soft colors. I enjoyed reading the Author’s Note and how the book offers thanks to the animals that have sustained the Passamaquoddy people.

Curriculum Connections:
It is so important to include multicultural stories in our libraries and classrooms, and I feel this one could be shared and understood with even young students. A geographical study could also evolve out of this book as students research the area where the Passamaquoddy live now and migrated in the past.
  Kmuscha | Feb 19, 2017 |
This book would be beneficial for a student who is moving or going through a time of change. I would definitely want this available in my classroom!
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
This book would be really great in times of change when a family is moving or someone new is part of the family
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
A story of a Native American family that is moving from their summer home near the river to their winter home deep in the woods by bobsled. When little Zoo Sap begins to play on the sled he falls off in to the snow unnoticed by the rest of the family. The animals hear his cries and rush to his aid working together to keep him warm and safe from the snow. When Joo Tum, his dad, reaches the winter home and notices Zoo Sap is missing he quickly returns to look for him finding him warm and happy under a very large pile of snow covered animals.

Personal Reflection: What a great story about the way nature and humans can coexist. The animals react to the cries of the little one as a parent and do the only thing they know to do, keep Zoo Sap warm. Having had the experience of losing my child in the mall (he was actually hiding from me the little stinker) I can relate to the panic that the father was feeling and the joy and relief when he found Zoo Sap safe and warm.

Classroom Extension:
1. Could be used in conjunction with a lesson on cultural tales. Native American tales have some very strong morals in the stories.
2. This book could be used to teach a lesson on helping those that need help even if they are different from you. Zoo Sap wasn’t one of the animals but they knew how to keep him warm.
  msmarymac | Feb 21, 2014 |
K-Gr 3–As a family transports its home and belongings for the winter, a toddler accidentally falls from the family sled. One by one, the animals of the forest encircle and protect him until his father returns. Detailed watercolors bring this story of physical and emotional warmth to life. The final page includes information on the Passamaquoddy people, and the story can be heard in Passamaquoddy and English at: www.tilburyhouse.com/Children%27s%20Frames/child_thanking.html.

Sockabasin, Allen J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raye, RebekahIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,596,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible