Hollywood vs. America by Michael Medved

Hollywood vs. America

by Michael Medved

Still relevant after all these years, this was the first book to argue that Hollywood is so ideologically driven that it is willing to push its destructive cultural agenda through the movie industry even when doing so comes at the expense of profits. ( )
  Eagleduck86 | Aug 21, 2011 |
not reviewed
  davidloertscher | Apr 2, 2011 |
NO OF PAGES: 0 SUB CAT I: Judeo-Christian Values SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Medved portrays a Hollywood that is pushing violence, brutality, and selfishness in spite of a less than enthusiastic response from the general public.NOTES: SUBTITLE: Popular Culture and the War on Traditional Values
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
Medved's surveys Hollywood's systematic trashing of traditional American values starting in the mid-1960s. He demonstrates persuasively that this movement has nothing to do with making money; indeed, he shows how deeply counterproductive it has been for the studios, as their audiences and profits have plummeted.

Although the book is now a decade and half old, it's still highly relevant. Little has changes over those years. Even though films such as The Passion of the Christ and the Pixar family movies have cleaned up at the box office, there's been only a minimal shift toward more family fare.

The one area in which Medved may have to re-examine his thesis is TV; the spate of recent excellent series that are really only for adults is not fully explained by his premises.

Still, this was an excellent read and I highly recommend it. ( )
  mrtall | Oct 19, 2009 |

Why does our popular culture seem so consistently hostile to the values that most Americans hold dear? Why does the entertainment industry attack religion, glorify brutality, undermine the family, and deride patriotism?

In this explosive book, one of the nation's best known film critics examines how Hollywood has broken faith with its public, creating movies, television, and popular music that exacerbate every serious social problem we face, from teenage pregnancies to violence in the streets.

Michael Medved powerfully argues that the entertainment business follows its own dark obsessions, rather than giving the public what it wants: In fact, the audience for feature films and network television has demonstrated its profound disillusionment in recent years, with disastrous consequences for many entertainment companies. Meanwhile, overwhelming numbers of our fellow citizens complain about the wretched quality of our popular culture--describing the offerings of the mass media as the worst ever. Medved asserts that Hollywood ignores--and assaults--the values of ordinary American families, pursuing a self-destructive and alienated ideological agenda that is harmful to the nation at large and to the industry's own interests.

In hard-hitting chapters on "The Attack on Religion," "The Addiction to Violence," "Promoting Promiscuity," "The Infatuation with Foul Language," "Kids Know Best," "Motivations for Madness," and other subjects, Medved outlines the underlying themes that turn up again and again in our popular culture. He also offers conclusive evidence of the frightening real-world impact of these messages on our society and our children.

Finally, Medved shows where and how Hollywood took a disastrous wrong turn toward its current crisis, and he outlines promising efforts both in and outside the industry to restore a measure of sanity and restraint to our media of mass entertainment.

Sure to elicit strong response, whether it takes the form of cheers of support or howls of enraged dissent, Hollywood vs. America confronts head-on one of the most significant issues of our times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:02 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible