The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2007)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millennium (3)

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (KayCliff)
    The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (620)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (12)  French (8)  Swedish (7)  Italian (6)  Danish (5)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  German (4)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (697)
I couldn't put this book down. ( )
  BurrowK | Jul 31, 2022 |
This was a page Turner where I had to take some breaks from my office to catch up on suspense.
  Ravi07BEC | Jul 20, 2022 |
An incredible read, this has ended up as my favourite of the trilogy. I didn't expect that because I found the third TV movie to be the most ponderous of the adaptations but the book had me gripped start to finish. It's 730 pages but I read it in just over a week which is fast by my standards, it being hard to put down. ( )
  ElegantMechanic | May 28, 2022 |
I still love Lisbeth Salander. The book for me was very, very, very slow going until about the last 100 pages. Too much info on the governmental workings for me. I enjoyed the results and it was a good closure for me for these books. The second was my favorite by far. I am glad I slogged through but felt it could have been seriously edited down to about 300 pages. Okay, on to the next book! Whew! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Another insanely exciting entry in Stieg Larsson's series.Young, independent, brilliant and introverted Salander has been to hell and back. Will she recover from a bullet to her brain in order to fight charges against her?

The crazed villains in a virtually invisible 'section' of Sweden's National Security Police (SAPO) meet to create a plan if she does recover.

Meanwhile Salander's friend, successful, intelligent journalist and writer Mikael Blomkvist uses his research skills to learn everything he can about Sapo's Section. He gets help from his colleagues at Millennium, the news magazine where he works and from other friends of Salander's. A few minor stories on the side increase and elevate the level of drama of how the main story will play out.

I enjoyed the book and look forward to the next book in the series. That written, I did have a bit of difficulty following the number of characters and their Swedish names but .. in time, with names repeated, I caught on and sped along.

Fun, quick read.
  Bookish59 | Mar 24, 2022 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichlin, SaulReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is estimated that some six hundred women served during the American Civil War.
Sometimes the title is written with the apostrophe (') after the s, e.g. Hornets' instead of Hornet's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,596,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible