dismiss

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (2007)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millenium Trilogie (3), Millennium Trilogy (3), Millennium (3)

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)
    The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (KayCliff)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (584)  Dutch (19)  Spanish (11)  French (8)  Swedish (7)  Italian (6)  Danish (5)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Finnish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (658)
I must admit - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is still my favorite of the series. It was so audacious and at times shocking, and I miss that sense from the second two books.

I understand that this is an unfair criticism - you can't replicate audacity from book to book, almost by definition.

To put it another way - certain aspects of Dragon make it unlike pretty much anything I've read in the genre. Fire and Hornet's Nest are more typical genre exercises. This is not to say that they're not among the very best of the genre - but they're far more standard fare.

Mostly, though, I like how personal - almost intimate - Dragon is. I've never been a big fan of huge conspiracy crime stories.

However, that's a purely personal preference. As far as huge conspiracy stories go, this is as good as anything I've read! ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
I'm glad that I've now finished my obsession with this trilogy! I did enjoy this final installment but will say that I enjoyed it less than the other two books. There is a lot of detail to sort through about the workings of the Swedish government and various plotlines. The twists and turns kept me engaged enough but it definitely took extra effort to keep things straight. Still, a nice mystery/thriller that leaves you wondering what will happen next in the main characters' lives. My imagination will have to fill in the blanks, since the author tragically passed away and apparently left no other manuscripts behind for future publishing. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
I decided to rate this book 2.5/3.0 Stars as it took awhile for me to get into it. I kind of wished that Lisbeth had a bit more screen time in the last one. I felt as if the sub characters had too much screen time. I'm glad it picked up towards the middle and the end although I will have to say this would be my least favorite in the trilogy. ( )
  autumnrain87 | Jul 31, 2020 |
Fantastic conclusion to the Millennium Trilogy! True joy in seeing the resolution to all the story lines and seeing the bad guys get what they so deserved. The trilogy has violence and sexual assaults on women, some of which is very disturbing. However, these parts are there not to titillate, but to intentionally cause you to hate the abuse many women suffer. Good trilogy and great book. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
Synopsis

In the conclusion of the Millennium trilogy, Lisbeth Salander, the book’s female lead, lies in hospital with a bullet in her head. When and if she recovers, she faces a litany of charges against her, including aggravated assault and murder. With the help of Mikael Blomkvist, lead reporter for Millennium magazine, she will have to fight against a government conspiracy and cover-up to avoid a lengthy prison term.

Blomkvist, meanwhile is determined to bring down the “Section,” the secret government organization that has nearly destroyed Salander since childhood.

Pros

As in his previous works, Larsson has a no-nonsense, journalistic writing style. He does an incredible job of providing documentation for each bit of evidence presented. No plot holes are left open, and even the implausible seems credible, given his attention to detail.

The story, however, is Larsson’s true strength. The Millennium books work because Lisbeth Salander is a unique character in the midst of a complex and interesting tale. Though it is sometimes easy to tell where some plot lines will end up, it is a rich enough tale that it makes the reader enjoy getting there.

Cons

Did I mention the richness of detail? In truth, if details were calories, this book would be an artery-clogging nightmare. I assume that Larsson brought his journalism credentials directly to his fiction. In fact, the book often reads like an intricately documented report, or preparation for the tediousness of trial. In the first half of the book, I counted some 40 pages of details that could have and should have been omitted. Larsson provides background stories on even minor characters. What I wanted to know was who they were, and what they wanted. I didn’t want to know what who bullied them in the 3rd grade. (I’m exaggerating, but not by much.) We are also bombarded with talk of a sister who we never meet.

The first half is sluggish at times, not at all helped by the fact the main character spends most of the book in bed (but not in the fun way). This is problematic because although all the characters have varied behaviors, Salander is the only one with a truly unique personality.

Conclusion

Overall, I give the book 6 out 10 stars. The second half of the book was much better than the first. With characters established, Larsson finally allowed the plot to flow. I was somewhat disappointed in that the conclusion was not suspenseful as I hoped. How things happened was more intriguing than what happened. I was all set to raise my grade up to 7, but even in the final chapter, Larsson once again launched into pointless activity that did not advance the plot. However, if you liked the 1st book, you’ll probably be okay with this one. ( )
  billjonesjr | Jun 27, 2020 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichlin, SaulReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is estimated that some six hundred women served during the American Civil War.
Sometimes the title is written with the apostrophe (') after the s, e.g. Hornets' instead of Hornet's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,298,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible