The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (2007)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millenium Trilogie (3), Millennium Trilogy (3), Millennium (3)

If and when Lisbeth Salander recovers, she'll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge--against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.… (more)
    The Messenger by Daniel Silva (jakemass48)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (KayCliff)
    Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen (tina1969)
    tina1969: Another swedish author who works has been translated.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Though written for YA readers, these books have the same feeling of urgency while reading.

English (604)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (12)  French (8)  Swedish (7)  Italian (6)  Danish (5)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  German (4)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (681)
I loved the entire trilogy but this was by far the best of the three. ( )
  stevenrowe | Jul 24, 2021 |
Given that Hornet's Nest kicks off immediately following the events of Played with Fire, I was hoping that it could keep up the momentum of the previous book and avoid the slow first half / crazy second half that the previous two books had suffered from. Unfortunately, no such luck. If anything, it takes even longer to get moving and the conclusion isn't quite as action packed as the previous novels.

On the other hand, I do feel like this was a solid conclusion to the series. It wrapped up a lot of loose ends that I hadn't even realized I was missing and finished character arcs, particularly for Lisbeth. She's still odd, but I'm really starting to understand where she comes from. And in the end, she wins. I would have been rather grumpy with the author (even if he is dead) had she not come out all right in the end.

One bit that I thought was odd was the subplot about Erika Berger changing jobs and being stalked. Just like the rape in the first book (which did turn out to have a much larger impact on the latter two books), I don't feel like it adds particularly much to the story. It does fit the theme about systematic corruption and victimization of women, but I feel like the story would have been just as strong without it.

As I've mentioned before, I don't read particularly much that's this close to the real world, but I did enjoy all three books in this series. Even though I would consider it the weakest of the three; if you've read the first two, you should read this one as well. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
The series finale stands up to it's name. The book is fast paced and thrilling all throughout. Stieg Larsson delivers a perfect ending ( )
  pinaki.s | Jul 12, 2021 |
WOW. Great conclusion to the saga of Lisbeth Salander, picking up immediately after the end of Girl Who Played With Fire. Due to Lisbeth's injuries, she plays a lesser role in the early part of the book, which is too bad because she is a wonderful, complicated, strong female character. The sleuthing and trial are well done. I thought the aftermath was anticlimactic but was mistaken. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Adult fiction; suspense/thriller. Best to read #1, dragon tattoo, first, though I skipped #2 and made it through the third one just fine. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
The tension builds relentlessly as backstories morph into intriguing subplots, threats to the very core of Swedish democracy are uncovered, men in positions of authority continue to abuse their power, and Salander and Blomkvist continue to fight for justice in their different, inimitable styles
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Jun 1, 2010)

Larsson was a cerebral, high-minded activist and self-proclaimed feminist who happened to have a God-given gift for pulse-racing narrative. It’s this offbeat combination of attributes — imagine if John Grisham had prefaced his writing career not by practicing law in Mississippi but by heading up the Stockholm office of Amnesty International — that has made the series such a sui generis smash.

Still—bad writing is hardly a barrier to success in this genre. A good plot can run right over pages and pages of bad writing. And if there is a bad plot, or an incomprehensible one, great writing can always go around it. By these standards, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a failure. No one should read this book for its plot or its prose.
added by Shortride | editSlate, Michael Newman (May 24, 2010)

The best features of Larsson's books are lively, intricately improbable plots. These, however, are set forth in a banal style that demonstrates no more than minimal skills when it comes to most of his characterizations and descriptive writing. It sometimes seems that Larsson's interest in novelistic detail begins and ends with the contents of a sandwich that one of his characters makes before dashing out on some potentially dangerous errand.

Cutting nimbly from one story line to another, Larsson does an expert job of pumping up suspense while credibly evoking the disparate worlds his characters inhabit, from the coldblooded bureaucracy of the Security Police to the underground slacker-hacker world of Salander and her friends, from the financially stressed newsroom Erika inherits to the intensive care unit of the hospital where Salander and Zalachenko are recuperating.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichlin, SaulReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is estimated that some six hundred women served during the American Civil War.
Sometimes the title is written with the apostrophe (') after the s, e.g. Hornets' instead of Hornet's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible