Caressed by Ice

by Nalini Singh

Series: Psy-Changeling (3)

Judd Lauren, a deadly assassin forced to do terrible things in the name of his people, must help Brenna Shane Kincaid, whose mind was violated by a serial killer, discover the truth about a recent murder.
    Tempting Evil by Keri Arthur (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Kissing Sin by Keri Arthur (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Dark Gold by Christine Feehan (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Ella, the Slayer by A. W. Exley (Sandwich76)

4.5 Stars! This one was really strong and I really enjoyed both these characters!

In this book we are following Judd Lauren, who is part of the Psy family that found refuge in the wolf changling pack, and Brenna, who is a wolf changling and was rescued in book one. I didn't know much about this third book going it but I knew a lot of people really like this book so I was very excited and I was not disappointed. I thought Brenna and Judd worked really well as a couple. I liked how they played off of each other and how they really balanced each other out. This is the first book where they hero is the Psy and the heroine is changling and I really liked the dynamic. I don't always like a very tough and cold hero who is softer around the heroine. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't and I haven't quite figured out what makes the difference but luckily I did like it here. Judd is so lovely to Brenna even with his icy exterior. But even beyond that, I loved seeing him interacting with the other pack members because to me, that's where you can really see his kindness. There were some moments between him and the pups that I just found to be so lovely.

Brenna is no slouch either. I really enjoyed her character in this. We only hear about her in the other books but I loved reading about the strength she shows in this book. She has to stand up to her brothers, figure out her relationship with Judd, and deal with the severe trauma of her kidnapping. I really grew to love Brenna throughout this book and I really liked seeing her and Judd get together.

The angst between them is also so good. They're clearly interested in each other but there are so many legitimate things keeping them apart. It can be hard to create scenarios where it's believable that the two love interest wouldn't be together but Singh does it really well here. I loved all the stuff with Judd trying to figure out his relationship to the Silence now that he is with the wolves and Brenna trying to figure out a relationship where she can barely touch Judd, something she needs as a wolf. It created a lot of really good tension and I really liked it.

There's also a lot more plot stuff introduced here that I'm really intrigued about. The stuff going on with Judd and the Psy-net is super interesting to me and I can't wait to see how that develops in later books. I am also really intrigued with what's happening with the Psy-council, especially with Kaleb. There is also a mystery in this book that is pretty well done and did intrigue me, but I am even more intrigued by those larger political threads running through this series.

This whole series has been a really great reading experience but this book was especially good and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here! ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
My twin sister has been telling me to read this series for years and despite liking the other Nalini Singh's I had read I never got around to reading it. After reading these books I can't imagine why I hesitated to read them ; they are really good. The story is fresh and original, the writing style is engaging and the characters are so well written that you truly get invested in their lives. I have enjoyed all the books in this series psy, changeling and human as they are all fascinating in their own way. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I liked it, it was a good continuation of the series, very much like Judd and his story yeah yeah yeah whatever.

The cover dude on the edition that I read looks exactly like John Mulaney and it's freaking me out. I read this in as few sittings as possible specifically so I wouldn't have to be confronted with this unintentionally hilarious image every time I opened my Kindle app.

me, trying and failing to get past the cover image every time I opened this book

Anyways, it's a good book; read it. Just, don't look at the cover too much. Or do! Not my kink, but do you!
  chichigrrr | May 23, 2021 |
5 Amazing Stars!

I love this series! Each book has pulled me in from the first page and by the end I am wanting more. I enjoy the in-depth development of the world and characters that Nalini Singh has created. One race of non-feeling arrogant beings and the other a passionate and loving race.

“Caressed By Ice” focuses quite a bit on the technical fact of the Psy and what makes them tick. We learn so much more about the Psy mind then we do in the first two books.

Judd is cold, calculating, and clinical. Brenna is still hurting from her near death experience and her emotions are all over the place. Judd and Brenna’s story is very different from the first two books in that this one deals with Brenna’s healing and Judd’s secret life.
Once the two finally slide into their own intimacy the mating was quite sensual and the anticipation of what was to be left me wanting that mating bond to occur and for them to overcome the barriers they have. It was well worth the wait to finally see them come together sexually. It was passionate, loving and Judd no longer is the ice man, but a man on fire when it comes to Brenna.

This series “Psy-Changeling” is unique and smartly written. I enjoy the authors writing and look forward to continuing the series and seeing what happens with all the interesting characters she has brought to the table in this fascinating world.

Audio Oct. 2017: I really enjoyed the audio for Caressed by Ice. I'm still having some issues with the male voices, but they are growing on me. Judd is one of my favorites and watching this Man of Ice melt is always a pleasure. The story was just as powerful and enduring as the first time I read it. I recommend the audio for the Psy-Changeling series.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
*2.5 ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Apr 10, 2020 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilms, ElenaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mercury was a cult.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,894,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible