Dean & me: a love story by Jerry Lewis

Dean & me: a love story

by Jerry Lewis

Other authors: James Kaplan

They were the unlikeliest of pairs--a handsome Italian crooner and a skinny Jewish monkey. The moment they got together, something clicked--and audiences saw it at once. Before long, they were as big as Elvis would be after them, grabbing an unprecedented hold over radio, television, movies, stage shows, and nightclubs. Martin and Lewis were a national craze, an American institution--and then, ten years from the day when the two men joined forces, it all ended. The two wouldn't speak again for twenty years. While both went on to forge triumphant individual careers, their parting left a hole in the national psyche, as well as in each man's heart. In a memoir by turns moving, tragic, and hilarious, Lewis recounts a fifty-year friendship, and makes a case for Dean Martin as one of the great--and most underrated--comic talents of our era.--From publisher description.… (more)

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had heard the rumors but glad I know straight from the horse's mouth the truth. Highly recommended for anyone interested in biographies and old Hollywood. ( )
  mjkutan | Nov 2, 2018 |
Love and respect between partners and friends

This book is a very detailed description of how one of comedy's greatest duos came to be - and subsequently parted ways.

Jerry Lewis writes from the heart about his love and respect for Dean Martin, personally and professionally. He elaborates with love how they met, the development of their act, and how they met their disappointing end of the partnership. Lewis is consistently in awe of Martin and how Dean's talent is underestimated in the early part of his career.

Although some of the writing is disjointed and a bit challenging to follow from time to time, the book is quite enjoyable and enlightening. Definitely recommended reading for anyone interested in Hollywood history. ( )
  CRMJones | Jan 4, 2017 |
A story of unrequitted love and a litany of excuses why or why not some business decisions were made. ( )

Jerry Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kaplan, Jamessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Dani, the young lady who is the air in my lungs, and her young mother, who is the beat in my heart, thank you both for getting me to here.
Most of the outside world wasn't aware of the gulf that had grown between us, and we were still making money like the U.S. Mint.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,951,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible