Introducing Wittgenstein by John Heaton

Introducing Wittgenstein (1994)

by John Heaton, Richard Appignanesi

Other authors: Judy Groves (Illustrator)

Series: Introducing (Graphic Guides)

Beautifully put. ( )
  Dumbedore_return | Apr 29, 2017 |
I like the ´for beginners´ series, and this one is no exception. A good introduction to a philosopher I've always found intimidating. ( )
  amarcobio | Jul 22, 2014 |
Good but not great. ( )
  galacticus | Aug 10, 2013 |
18. Introducing Wittgenstein by John Heaton & illustrated by Judy Groves (1994, 173 pages, read Apr 18-20)

As part of my weird quest-to-reread-Infinite-Jest, I decided I needed to read certain key influences on David Foster Wallace, including Wittgenstein's Tractatus...or did I? And anyway, where to start on such a book? So, I started here. The illustrations are random and vaguely pointless, but text is nice and simple. It highlights how absolutely fascinating Wittgenstein the person was. I finished quite a bit confused on Tractatus, but felt something of a comprehension of Wittgenstein's main later work, [Philosophical Investigations] (published posthumously). The overall effect of this book was to get me started on and interested in Wittgenstein. That's a success.
  dchaikin | Jul 10, 2013 |
Even if you think that you don't like philosophy, especially if you don't like philosophy give it a try. ( )
  Redsfan | Jun 3, 2008 |

John Heatonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Appignanesi, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Groves, JudyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 187416617X, Paperback)

Ludwig Wittgenstein has somehow captured the popular imagination as the modern Socrates, the fascinating and attractive master of enigmatic logic. But what did Wittgenstein really say? This book introduces a strange man, the rigorous logician who prized poetry above philosophy, who inherited an immense fortune and gave it all away, who sought death in the trenches of World War I, a great teacher who advised his students to give up philosophy, a tormented soul who thrived on jokes and crime fiction and a solitary who inspired lifelong friendships. This is also a guide to his central work, the "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus", an apparent glacier of logic, and his later, friendlier "Philosophical Investigations". Anyone baffled by the complexity of these works or intrigued by Wittgenstein's reputation but too daunted to read him should find this book a useful introduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:38 -0400)

An introduction to the work and personal life of philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. It presents a man of contradictions: a rigorous logician who prized poetry above philosophy; a solitary man who inspired lifelong friendships; and a great teacher who advised his students to give up philosophy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,735,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible