Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Captains Outrageous by Joe R. Lansdale

Captains Outrageous (2001)

by Joe R. Lansdale

Series: Hap and Leonard (6)

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
Unrelentingly vulgar, violent and fun. It seems like Hap and Leonard might be settling down. You have to figure that might not turn out so great for their respective partners. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
I just love the way Lansdale writes, especially the way his characters interact with one another. It comes off as very conversational, even if it is a bit crude at times, but then again, so are the characters.

This was my second book by Lansdale, and my first Hap and Leonard. I got this particular book when I unexpectedly met Mr. Lansdale at a horror convention a few years ago (it was 2009 or 2010, can't remember exactly which). I had first come across him as a writer when I found a Tarzan story he had written, The Lost Adventure. I have yet to read that, but I bought it on the spot. I then got to meet him at Horrorfind, where I bought this one (at the time, the most recent book he had released) and had him sign it (which is always great, but unfortunate if you've changed your name since). Since then, I have only had the chance to read one other Lansdale book, a one-off called Freezer Burn that is a fun, but dark read.

I would put this, and probably most of the Hap and Leonard series, in the same category as Freezer Burn, fun but dark. Hap Collins and Leonard Pine are two of the unluckiest fellows you're likely to meet, if their past adventures are any indication. Just reading Hap's summary of the previous stories makes you feel like buying the poor guy a drink, and maybe something stronger to put him out of his misery. As this one opens, Hap and Leonard are working night security at a chicken plant. Things are going fine until Hap leaves work one night only to come across a wild-man absolutely destroying an innocent girl. Fortunately for the girl, Hap steps in.

From those humble beginnings, we are lead down the path of the lives of Hap and Leonard, two best friends with some of the worst luck. Not even a vacation can be simple for these two, as they are unfortunate enough to find out.

If I had to describe this book to someone, I think the phrase "quintessential Texas" might come up. I mean, having grown up in the South, even as far north as I am from Texas, I've known plenty of people like Hap, Leonard, Brett, Jim Bob, and Charlie. Maybe it's because of that, and the natural way Lansdale has of picking up Hap's narrative from the previous books, I feel like I'm just catching up with old friends. Even without reading any of the previous five Hap and Leonard novels, I understand these two and the world they are coming from as if I was there from the start. Which I will be, as soon as I can read the other books in this series. Hap gives just enough detail of those previous adventures to spark interest without ruining them for someone who came in mid-read like I did. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jan 23, 2019 |
I went into this without any idea what it was about. I didn't even know that it was a series and that this was book 6. I also didn't know that there was a TV show made about this series. The only thing that I knew was that I had read 3 or 4 books by Lansdale and enjoyed all of them.

In the beginning I was thinking that this was going to be a kind of "backwoods" Supernatural, but no supernatural/fantastic elements (I thought someone was possessed when they were really just on drugs). So that was kind of disappointing, because I love fantasy and sci-fi. Fortunately the kind of boring plot was made up for with amazing characters. Being an audio book helped too, since the narrator was great.

So basically, if you like "Average Joe, who has kicked plenty of ass in his day, meets people in bad situations with hardened criminals" then this is for you. Especially because it's gritty and realistic (most of the time) and the good guys don't always win. ( )
  ragwaine | Sep 21, 2018 |
Un buon amico

Lansdale è come il buon amico che tutti sogniamo: serio, malinconico, esilarante, dissacrante, autoironico, pragmatico, protettivo, fedele, sboccato... e chi più ne ha più ne metta. Ogni vicenda della più improbabile coppia di investigatori sembra inevitabilmente destinata a procurar loro guai. Anche quando compiono buone azioni, come quella che dà inizio a questa avventura, ne vien fuori un ingarbugliamento tale che solo grazie alla collaudata partnership riesce a risolversi per il meglio. Ma è sempre un "meglio" relativo: consapevolezze, perdite, ritrovamenti interiori e sbandamenti morali fanno sì che niente sia più come prima. Con qualche ammaccatura in più, si sopravvive per poterla raccontare e per seguitare nuove avventure ritrovandosi come buoni vecchi amici.
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |

Captain Outrageous is fifth in the hilarious and off-beat Hap and Leonard series by Joe R Lansdale. If you’ve caught the recent TV series you’ll know the set-up: Hap is a working class white man living in East Texas; Leonard is his gay, psychotic, African American best friend. Together they wind up raising merry hell, righting wrongs, taking names, and kicking ass all kinds of ass.

To a degree all of the Hap and Leonard stories can be seen as part of one long picaresque novel. Events are references throughout the series, and each subsequent novel picks up pretty closely from the one that went before, while also remaining relatively standalone. This one sees the twain in holiday mood after Hap saves the daughter of his chicken plant boss from a murderous attack and is rewarded with time off and a healthy bonus as a result. They decide to blow their winnings on an ocean cruise of the Caribbean, only to wind up stuck in the middle of Mexico after getting a mix up with a crew member leads to them abandoned during a stopover. Run-ins with corrupt cops and a machete-wielding fisherman are only the start of their worries.

I found this novel an absolute blast. While Lansdale’s prose never rises above the merely readable, he’s a great pure storyteller, able to draw you in from the first few sentences and hold your attention throughout. He does this in a number of ways: a brisk, fast moving plot, colourful characters, and a sharp, no-nonsense narrative voice, shot through with a dry black humour that at times had me laughing out loud.

>>I made a last round and met Leonard in the break room. He had his security guard cap cocked at a jaunty angle and was standing in front of the soda machine, counting out change.
>>When I came in he said, without looking up, “You got a quarter?”
>>I gave him a quarter.
>>“Any chickens try to break out?” I asked.
>>“Nope. None tried to break in either. How about on your side? Any trouble?”

While there are moments of pathos and reflection, these come as natural pauses in the plot rather than shoehorned in for the sake of it, and serve to add an extra layer of meaning to the story that helps to keep the events resonating with the reader long after the close of the book. An important lesson for any writer. Action without meaning is hollow and forgettable. Reflection without action is groundless.

Speaking of action, Lansdale’s a master at describing physical altercations. Case in point: the epic fight scene near the start of the novel, impressive both for its realism, and for its clarity. Fights tend to be difficult to describe. They’re either overly descriptive (and unrealistic as a result), or a confused blur of actions and emotions. Lansdale gets around this by having his protagonist remain relatively cool throughout the encounter, while conveying a growing sense of panic as the opponent begins to get the upper hand. This is in keeping with how I’d imagine a man like Hap would relate a fight. Obviously a less physically capable protagonist would experience things differently. ( )
  StuartNorth | Nov 19, 2016 |

Joe R. Lansdaleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colitto, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the worst trip, I ever been on.
"Sloop John B,"
New England Maritime Song

Hap Collins, saves a young woman, however, no good deed goes unpunished. Misbehaving on a Caribbean cruise, the two are abandoned in Mexico, where Leonard is saved from armed attackers by a fisherman and his daughter. Hap returns to East Texas but is overwhelmed when he learns of the senoritas murder. Not taking it lying down, he and Leonard return to Mexico to even the score.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:12 -0400)

"Hap Collins is stuck in a bit of a mid-life rut. Spending his days guarding the local poultry plant, he doesn't look forward to going home to his lady Brett, with whom making love has become like twice-ground hamburger without the fixings. Suddenly, a spontaneous, off-duty act of rescue earns Hap and his best friend Leonard Pine a cruise down the Gulf of Mexico to the Caribbean. But their holiday is short-lived, thanks to a shipboard eruption of Leonard's proud, hot temper. Stranded with Hap in Mexico, Leonard buys an ugly hat, gets stabbed by a thug cop, and is saved from armed desperadoes by a geriatric fisherman and his gorgeous daughter." "Then things get dangerous." "On frighteningly foreign turf, Hap and Leonard wade through a cast bigger than the U.S. army, including a nudist mobster, his seven-foot enforcer, and a hog-raising private eye. Getting way too close to high-echelon corruption and murder, they will find a parcel of trouble following them everywhere. And along the way Leonard may even buy a new hat."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,487,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible