The acidly funny first book starring the subversive sleuth in one of the most successful mystery series of all time. Fletch is an investigative reporter whose methods are a little unorthodox. Currently he's living on the beach with the strung-out trying to find to the source of the drugs they live for. He's taking more than a little flack from his editor. She doesn't appreciate his style. Or the expense account items he's racking up. Or his definition of the word deadline. Or the divorce lawyers who keep showing up at the office. So when multimillionaire Alan Stanwyk offers Fletch the job of a lifetime, which could be worth a fortune, he's intrigued and decides to do a little investigation. What he discovers is that the proposition is anything but what it seems.… (more)

Quick read, the majority of which is dialog. One can't help but add Chevy Chase's voice when reading - one of his few roles that can be described as superb. Even if you've seen the movie and ruined the mystery of who is distributing the drugs, Fletch's snarkiness, some details cut from the movie, and a very large deviation keep the story fresh.

Only one real major issue: There is a lot of retread. Fletch will sum up the entire affair in his tape recorder. Some of which are snarky comments, but mostly just a recap for those with short-term memory issues.

Minor issue: Since this book is mostly dialog, Fletch may very well switch locations or conversations without notice. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I enjoyed this more than I expected I would. It was a more serious-toned book than I had thought it might be, considering the movie version of it I'd seen as a kid (and more recently too).

JonOwnbey | May 28, 2020 |
Light and entertaining. ( )
  grandpahobo | Mar 25, 2020 |
Put down after thirty pages. ( )
  danhammang | Oct 4, 2019 |
This is an older book, from the 70s, but I enjoyed the plot and the twist at the end. Great characters and setting, from simpler times and much less technology! ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
To Susie, Judy and Lew Clapp
"What's your name?"
"What's your name?"
"Fletch."
"What's your full name?"
"Irwin. Irwin Fletcher. People call me Fletch."
"Irwin Fletcher, I have a proposition to make to you. I will give you a thousand dollars for just listening to it. If you decide to reject the proposition, you take the thousand dollars, go away, and never tell anyone we talked. Fair enough?"
"Is it criminal? I mean, what you want me to do?"
"Of course."
"Fair enough. For a thousand bucks I can listen. What do you want me to do?"
"I want you to murder me."...
Fletch said, "Sure."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,066,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible