Bill Peet: An Autobiography by Bill Peet

Bill Peet: An Autobiography

by Bill Peet

275None41,473 (4.22)6

Award winning children's author Bill Peet wrote his autobiography as he wrote his books, aimed at children and heavily illustrated. He started out as a serious painter, was a long-time (26 years) illustrator for Walt Disney and concluded his career writing picture books for children. The story is well told, although not a lot of detail since it is aimed at children. His time with Disney is fascinating since he worked on most of the famous feature length films after Sleeping Beauty. He did work on Pinocchio, Cinderella, Jungle Book, The Sword and the Stone and 101 Dalmatians to name a few. It was a fun, quick read. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this Newbery Honor Award winner, but that's because Bill Peet is one of my favorite children's authors. I especially enjoyed all the pictures that accompanied the text because many of them are in his other books in one form or another. The text is accessible to middle school readers, but I'm not sure many middle school students would actually read it. The Bill Peet books I've read to my children and classes are younger, so I'm not sure a student in 6th or 7th grade would really pick this book up. If they did, their memory would probably instantly take them back such classics as How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head and Eli. I'm just not sure if Peet's biography will grip that Newbery audience. ( )
  KarriesKorner | Mar 15, 2009 |
More memoir than full-fledged autobiography, Peet gives glimpses of his childhood before settling down with the tale of his artistic career. A great portion of the book deals with his Disney years and the book would have been a treasure just for that alone. But in grand Bill Peet style his autobiography is not like any other I've read. Just like his other books (for children) this is a picture book with not more than eight lines of text per page and that text is surrounded with b/w illustrations. Each page is a visual feast from top to bottom. Peet lived such an interesting life it would have been more informational if the book were written in the traditional sense and included more details but since Peet considered himself an artist and not a writer this format is understandable. The intended audience for this book (even though it is a picture book) is for older children, ages 10 and up. Though I think adults will be the most appreciative of the text. A great read for fans of Peet's children's books and for Disney fans who'd like to hear about the Bill Peet years with Disney from his own mouth. A great read that left me wanting to know much more about Bill Peet. Recommended. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 28, 2008 |
As a fan of Bill Peet's fiction, I very much enjoyed this alternate way into his life and work. This would appeal to those interested in Peet, and there's also a significant section that sheds light on the early days of Disney. ( )
  labbit440 | Mar 10, 2008 |
Bill Peet is one of our favorite author illustrators of children's book. I was a delight to read his autobiography. ( )
  KareninMaryland | Feb 10, 2007 |
In that compartment of the brain where visual memories are stored mine has been cluttered with an endless assortment of things starting with the two pigs we raised in my birthplace of Grandview, Indiana.

Bill Peet tells his life story, including his years with Disney, with illustrations on every page.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:48 -0400)

The well-known author and illustrator relates the story of his life and work.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible