Jamaica Tag-Along by Juanita Havill

Jamaica Tag-Along

by Juanita Havill

Other authors: Anne Sibley O'Brien (Illustrator)

Series: Jamaica

7891918,401 (3.92)None
When her older brother refuses to let her tag along with him, Jamaica goes off by herself and allows a younger child to play with her.

As an older sibling, I am all to familiar with the feeling of wanting to be away from your siblings. Growing up, I hated having to bring my little sisters with me when I went to a friend's house. I wanted to get away, not bring them with me. I greatly related to Ossie, as he is the older sibling with a tag-along. I love the kindness that Jamaica showed to Berto, as she could understand how he must have felt when his mother said, "big kids don't want to be bothered by little kids". I could see Jamaica growing and changing. Loved this! ( )
  Gabrielle21 | Sep 4, 2018 |
Juanita Havill's picture book teaches the important lesson of inclusion even among siblings, with beautiful illustrated pictures of watercolor. The story follows a little girl and her big brother as she discovers how it feels to be excluded. A great story for young children to understand that everyone must be included. ( )
  Savage48 | Feb 24, 2018 |
Jamaica wants to play with her brother. When he doesn't let her, she plays on her own. A boy approaches her and she yells at him and says no. She later felt bad and let him play because she remembered how she felt when her brother did the same.
For ages 2-5.
Source MCFHC book collection
  Tasian | Aug 22, 2017 |
This book is very cute. Easy to relate to for most of us that have siblings. It is a good lesson on feelings, and treating other kindly.A lesson can be done on family and sharing.
  Chavila | Apr 26, 2015 |
Summary
Jamaica wants to play basketball with her brother and his friends. When he tells her to go away she goes to the playground and starts to build a sand castle. A boy at the playground wanted to help her, but she told him to go away. When Jamaica realized she said the same hurtful things that her brother said to her she let the little boy play with her.

Personal Reaction
I have an older sister who didn’t want me to play with her. She would tell me to leave her alone. It hurt my feelings when she pushed me away. She only wanted me around when she needed me. Now that we are grown we are a big part of each other’s lives. It took us maturing to understand the importance of having a sibling.

Extension Ideas:
1.I could give the students a large piece of paper and let them draw their siblings playing together.
2.We could read more stories about family and discuss the importance of family.
3.The students could write their own story about their family.
  HaleyMcPherson | Mar 17, 2015 |

Juanita Havillprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Brien, Anne SibleyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,521,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible