Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman

Song and Dance Man (1988)

by Karen Ackerman

Other authors: Stephen Gammell (Illustrator)

This fun illustrated book is about a grandfather that reminisces about the days back when he danced on the Vaudeville stage. You can use this book in a social studies lesson to have the students write and conduct an interview of a member of their family and ask questions about back in their day or when they were your students' age. ( )
  lindseyluchak | Sep 19, 2018 |
This was an extremely nice book to read. What caught my eye the most was the illustrations. There was always bright colors and unique patterns. Sometimes the illusions the illustrator gave made it seem like the grandpa was time traveling and floating in the air. I thought this was very unique because though he did not actually "time travel," he looked back on memories he faced when he was younger. This story was extremely cute and one I think students would enjoy in a classroom. ( )
  arizzo | Aug 30, 2018 |
"Song and Dance Man" is one of my favorite books from when I was a child in school. I was a dancer and my dancing school teacher loved to make our dancing revues like Broadway or Vaudeville. It is a genuine story for children to hear that any one could be anything they put their minds to, reminiscing with your family, learning the culture of your family, etc. It would be a book I would keep inside my classroom for children to read or for myself to read to the class. I think it teaches the big lesson of you can be anything you want. That is important because bullying drives kids away from things they really want to do in some cases. ( )
  Ashley.Miller | Aug 30, 2018 |
Grandpa took the children to the attic to show them his old tap dancing shoes. Then he put on his clothes, and dressed, and sang, and danced, like the good old days. He showed real enjoyment in the dance, and the children could see it clearly. Although he liked to be with his grandchildren, it was clear that he missed the good old days.

That is a realistic book because in our life our grandpa makes like this. And it is also a good book because it tells us we need to cherish the past time. ( )
  WuKundi | Feb 21, 2018 |
During a visit to their grandpa's, the children are told stories of "the good old days," before TV. During this particular visit, grandpa takes the children in the attic to show them his old tap dancing shoes. He then puts on a show, dressed up, singing and dancing, just like in the good old days. He shows true enjoyment in his dancing and the children can clearly see it. Although he loves spending time with his grandchildren, it is obvious that he misses the good old days. I really enjoyed this book, it was colorful and gives a glimpse into the good old days. Students can discuss what they think life was like before TV and can discuss what hobbies they have. ( )
  Katherine.Boykins | Feb 10, 2018 |

Karen Ackermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394893301, Hardcover)

Once a song and dance man, Grandpa reclaims his youth and profession before the delighted eyes of his three grandchildren one afternoon. He simply cannot resist the urge to dress up in clothes left over from his vaudeville days--complete with top hat and gold-headed cane--and to perform tricks, play banjo and tell jokes. He taps, twirls and laughs himself to tears on a thrown-together stage in his attic. Artist Stephen Gammell takes full advantage of lamplight to render Grandpa in shadow and silhouette, trivializing the concept of age and creating a feeling of intense nostalgia. Related from the point of view of the children, the text in Song and Dance Man is soft and understated, and Gammell's artistry is superb. The book won the Caldecott Medal in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Grandpa demonstrates for his visiting grandchildren some of the songs, dances, and jokes he performed when he was a vaudeville entertainer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,227,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible