Akira, Volume 1

by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

Series: Akira (1)

In Neo-Tokyo, built on the former site of Tokyo after World War III, two teenagers are targeted by agencies after they develop paranormal abilities.

English (28)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (30)
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
Maybe I don't get it. I think I should try harder. It wasn't hard to understand though. Felt like a drop in the bucket of the whole series. I think I just don't like violent things. I don't know. Will someone please help me understand culture outside of romance and adolescence? Thanks. If you need me I'll be reading The Bell Jar. If you're gonna wanna come of age, at least do it with the classics. ( )
  mayalekach | Sep 25, 2021 |
One of the defining works of Japanese manga. I know most people will judge the anime as a great work. And it is, but the manga is more detailed and actually has an ending that makes sense. The large print format really helps bring the grandeur of this story to life. The story is a big scale story with small scale characters trying to survive in a world on the brink of death. This is the story of the last tipping point before the next apocalypse takes place. It's the manga series all other mangas are judged against. That's what makes this book and its subsequent issues great. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 14, 2021 |
Wizard Top 100 of All Time: 41
IGN Ultimate Bookshelf Essential
  JEJanke | Feb 16, 2021 |
I'm not thrilled about giving two stars to what is supposed to be one the greatest manga of all time. However, if I did not know that about this manga, I would have given it two stars with no thought.

It's a sci-fi from the 80's. It's not drawn in the manga style that I'm used to, but that's fine. It takes place in a future Tokyo. There's some big government secret called Akira and there are people with supernatural powers running around.

There's a lot of violence. There's an awful lot of motorcycle racing and fighting between rival gangs and the army. (Obviously not written with my demographic in mind, I realize that.)

The story intrigued me at first. Then it just became a bunch of fights and people running from each other and buildings toppling down and killing people. I couldn't tell the kids apart, except for the girl. That hindered things for me.

The main characters are not likable at all. They are young teen boys who know only sex, violence, motorcycles, and drugs.

I have read this series was groundbreaking in so many ways. I'm trying to appreciate that, but it just didn't work for me personally. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |

Ōtomo, KatsuhiroAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, JoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oliff, SteveColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Umezawa, YokoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, Linda M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
AT 2:17 P.M. ON DECEMBER 6TH, 1992, A NEW TYPE OF BOMB EXPLODED OVER THE METROPOLITAN AREA OF JAPAN.

A close encounter /
young punk in over his head /
Yamagata dies.
(leahdawn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,028,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible