The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean…

The Darkest Evening of the Year (2007)

by Dean Koontz

Amy Redwing is the founder of a California organization that rescues abandoned and endangered golden retrievers. Amy risks her life to save Nickie and takes her into her home. The bond between Amy and Nickie is immediate and uncanny. Even her two other goldens, Fred and Ethel, recognize Nickie as special, a natural alpha. But the instant joy Nickie brings is shadowed by a series of eerie incidents. An ominous stranger. A mysterious home invasion.… (more)

This is my literary "slumming it". I'd never ACTUALLY read this, but as an audio book while I'm waiting for another book to become available, I give myself a free pass. Anything is better than the endless commercials & blabbering on the radio.
Now about the book: fairly predictable, a little cheesy at times. On the plus side: dogs! ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
It was good, but it took a very long time for all the stories to tie together. I really didn't like the ending either. I read this because I like the Odd Thomas series so much. This was not nearly as good as the Odd Thomas books. ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |
I loved this book - was listening to it in the car, and kept thinking up errands to run to her more sooner. I had never read Dean Koontz, just knew he wrote mysteries and is very popular. I certainly wasn't expecting the spiritual aspect I found in this book. I hear the term Magical Realism and resisted reading books associated with it because I don't usually enjoy fantasy. But as used in this novel, I really liked it. It took some getting used to - it is almost like a modern morality play. - all good vs. evil, with dogs standing with the good guys, along with angels and God too. Really, it is about spiritual warfare. The villains in this book were beyond mortally nasty, and the good guys, including the dogs, were luminous. Not your typical mystery! The light shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it...spelled out! I can see why a lot of people would be put off by it, but a lot of others will love it. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Jan 24, 2018 |
Koontz has been on a bit of a career resurrection ever since Odd Thomas, but this one was a bump in the road. Not one of his better works, but not too bad UNTIL the ending. Wow. The ending totally sucked ass and left me with a bad taste. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
This one goes in the category of DNF (Did not finish). I do this when the audio sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher...."bwaa...bwaaa. bwaaaa". It just did not click in my head. ( )
  buffalogr | May 11, 2017 |
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
--Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
To Gerda, who will one day be greeted jubilantly in the next life by the golden daughter whom she loved so well and with such selfless tenderness in this world. And to Father Jerome Molokie, for his many kindnesses, for his good cheer, for his friendship, and for his inspiring devotion to what is first, true, and infinite.
Behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition, Amy Redwing drove as if she were immortal and therefore safe at any speed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,931,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible