Lord Emsworth and Others by P. G. Wodehouse
591923,814 (4.16)8

English (6)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Lord Emsworth is my favourite Wodehouse character creation and I wasn’t disappointed with the opening story that features the earl fooling around with an airgun and growing anxious because of the unexpected visit from Rupert Baxter.

As for “The Others”, I found these a mixed bag. Two of the golf stories were quite funny, but one went into such in-depth detail on the game of golf – therefore, blinding me with terminology that I’m clueless about – that I skipped the story.

The Mr Mulliner story was quite good, but I didn’t think much to the Ukridge tales. I’m not much of an Ukridge fan, to be honest.

If not for the fantastic Lord Emsworth story, I would’ve rated this collection three stars, but the earl persuades me to up it to four. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 12, 2018 |
A collection of short stories from 1937, a fruitful period in Wodehouse's career. The first story, "The Crime Wave at Blandings," alone is worth the price of admission. ( )
  EricCostello | Oct 17, 2017 |
This audiobook, read by Nigel Lambert, once more proves that you can't go wrong with Wodehouse. These nine short stories are all quite enjoyable, with the most memorable award going to "The Crime Wave at Blandings," featuring—you guessed it—the undying conflict between Lord Emsworth and his archenemy The Efficient Baxter. I also very much enjoyed the Oldest Member's account of why not to drive golf balls into your fiánce's father, and the tale of Ukridge's splendid impudence when he turns his aunt's home into a hotel. The other stories don't stand out as much (it's been a couple months since I listened to this), but I thoroughly enjoyed the full collection and was only sorry it wasn't longer. Fun! ( )
  atimco | Feb 25, 2014 |
A collection of the usual suspects---Lord Emsworth, Mr. Mulliner, the Oldest Member, Ukridge---although not Wooster and Jeeves. What could be bad. ( )
  raizel | Jul 6, 2011 |
Lord Emsworth versus The Efficient Baxter is the funniest conflict in all of English Literature. ( )
  twistgirl | Sep 26, 2009 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lambert, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
UK title 'Lord Emsworth and Others', US title 'Crime Wave at Blandings'

Mr Mulliner - 1 short story, Blandings - 1 Short Story, Ukridge 3 short stories
The wave of crime that was about to rock Blandings Castle broke out on a fine summer afternoon. Ukbridge appeared on Corky's doorstep at three in the morning, dressed in striped pyjamas and his yellow mackintosh.
Stories Included: 1. The Crime Wave at Blandings, 2. Buried Treasure, 3. The Letter of the Law, 4. Farewell to Legs, 5. There's Always Golf, 6. The Masked Troubadour, 7. Ukridge and the Home from Home, 8. The Come-Back of Battling Billson, 9. The Level Business Head.

All of the Blandings Castle short stories are collected in Lord Emsworth Acts for the Best.

The wave of crime that was about to rock Blandings Castle broke out on a fine summer afternoon. Ukridge appears on Corky's doorstep requesting his cab fare and a whiskey and soda! The oldest member warns of the folly of love, even if his progress on the golf course has earned him the affectionate sobriquet of the First Grave Digger!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:19 -0400)

The wave of crime that was about to rock Blandings Castle to its foundations broke out on a fine summer afternoon. Ukridge appears on Corky's doorstep at three in the morning, dressed in striped pyjamas and his yellow mackintosh, requesting his cab fare and a whisky and soda. The Oldest Member warns of the folly of driving into the father of the girl you love, even if his progress on the golf course has earned him the affectionate soubriquet of the First Grave Digger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible