Freedom's Challenge (1999)

by Anne McCaffrey

Series: Freedom Series (3)

In Freedom's Landing, a galactic invasion forced thousands of humans to colonize a new planet. In Freedom's Choice, human Kris Bjornsen and her comrades found new hope for rebellion. Now, in Freedom's Challenge, Kris and her Catteni lover Zainal prepare to face danger and pain, in the final fight for liberty. To safeguard his family & his freedom, Zainal must lead an attack on his own planet.… (more)

What a Ride!

Save the whole universe? No problem. The Freedom crew continues their winning ways and it was quite fun to see grownups dress up and get drunk on foreign booze when they out to know better. As always McCaffrey does alien races as well as variant earth cultures quite well. ( )
  bdinsman | Sep 10, 2020 |
  ElenaGwynne | Sep 13, 2014 |

*Book source ~ Home library

The dropped survivors on Botany have come a long way from those first days when they had virtually nothing. They are living very well with many comforts of home and they are at the brink of ending the Eosi domination of several species and many planets and Kris Bjornson and Zainal are at the center of things. Making a good life on Botany isn't enough for Zainal though. He intends to destroy the Eosi for enslaving his people for two thousand years and for enslaving other worlds as well. However, the final piece of the plan will only work at great sacrifice to himself. Will his plan work and, more importantly, will he survive it?

Once again I'm plunged into the fight for survival, the fight to free Earth, Botany and many other planets and how everyone works together for the greater good of the community. It's an awesome ride. All of the pieces of the puzzle come together and if they do so a little too neatly I'm not going to argue. I love this series and I love watching how everyone handles their part of the Great Plan despite overwhelming odds. A fast-flowing plot, great writing and wonderful characters keep me engaged from beginning to end. Anne McCaffrey always has so much going on and yet manages to keep the books to a reasonable length. There's just no way to summarize her stories without going on and on about everything that's happening. All I can say is this; open to the first page and hang onto your britches. It's going to be a wild ride. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Oct 8, 2013 |
The planet of Botany is protected by an impenetrable "bubble" (a gift of from the benevolent "Farmers"), but it is not free. Nor Earth (home of many of Botany's current residents), nor is Catteni itself. They are all dominated by the Eosi overlords, and the Catteni more than any species, wish to be free of them, for they are the ones the Eosi use to continue their existence, by subsuming the body and personality of the elite of Catten.

Zainal narrowly escaped that horrible fate, and wishes nothing more than free himself and his fellow species, of their domination. So with the help of the humans of Botany, he concocts a dangerous plan, one which, if it succeeds, he may not return from...

This is a good story, and I really enjoyed getting to see how the people of Botany are really taking their own fate in their hands, rather than just sitting back and trying to survive their circumstances. While it doesn't have the edge-of-your-seat power of the first book, it does provide a satisfying resolution to story. ( )
  puttocklibrary | May 21, 2013 |
I was disappointed with this book. Parts were ok such as the inclusion of Masi Warriors but I think it could be done a bit better. It seems they were introduced for a boot camp experience and threat of genital mutilation for juvenile trouble makers which is a bit disrespectful as well as finding out one more thing that I won't be a spoiler and mention. I was hoping to see something like the traditional lion hunt (now banned) to gain manhood but using the night creatures as a substitute...development of a theme like that would have been interesting to me.

Again, things happen so fast and so easy with literally not one setback resulted in no tension in the read. By the third book this was wearing a little thin. The social development on Botany dragged too with so many characters to keep track of...most bad guys became good... as expected. Lots of loose ends left by the end of the story...it seemed to me that having told the story in such a rush she just wanted to end it all. I believe there is one more book "Freedom's Ransom" which may tie up loose ends. I will read it. I was interested in life on Botany but that was glossed over in this book and disappointed me. {sigh} ( )
  Lynxear | Jun 20, 2011 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Dedicated to the memory of
Joe Mulcahy
1980-1997
No longer mourn for me when I am dead
Than you shall hear the sullen surly bell
Give warning to the world tha I am fled...
William Shakespeare
Sonnet 71
Don't look back in anger , I hear you say.
When Zainal had organized the data he wanted to send to the Farmers via the homing capsule, he let Boris Slavinkovin and Dick Aarens fly it down to the Command Post for dispatch.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible