The Practice of the Presence of God by…

The Practice of the Presence of God

by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection

Other authors: Robert J. Edmonson (Translator), Tony Jones (Introduction)

This book is one of the most powerful prayer books I've ever read. Brother Laurence opened my eyes on what prayer actually is and is not. In one part of the book, he shares that after working on this "practice of the presence of God", he often felt as close to Jesus doing the dishes as he did in the chapel - for Him, the work of our lives is to be done in total union with Jesus Christ. A life changing read for sure. ( )
  StThomasYM | Nov 27, 2018 |
After reading the Ignatian spirituality, I am amazed to see that this book lined up with the same message, "The Presence of God."

The more I get close with Christ, the deeper I see my wickedness.
I think, the message which this book taught me was that during tough times, I would to ask God to love him more than ever. The struggle would be real, but to love him during that time? Not easy

We are created to love him, every moment, at times we wander off. It is our duty to love him with all our heart.

I see God working in subtle things in my life, every day. I remember, I borrowed an umbrella from a retired professor on my campus. I was worried how I was going to find him again but to my surprise, he just appeared right infront of me at that second, when I was walking inside a building.

Let us try to grow closer with the Lord and rely on him each moment.
Love is the most important quality, without love mortification of the sins wouldn't be efficious.

We must study ever to regard God and his Glory in all that we do, that is the end - Brother Lawrence
  gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |

The more I get close with Christ, the deeper I see my wickedness.

Let us try to grow closer with the Lord and rely on him each moment.

gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |
The author of the Conversations and Letters contained in this book was a lowly and unlearned man by the name of Nicholas Herman of Lorraine, who having been a footman and soldier, became a lay brother among the barefooted Carmelites in Paris in 1666. He was thereafter known as Brother Lawrence.
  PalmerWV | Nov 8, 2017 |
Brother Lawrence is one of my new heros now. a must read for any Christian with a passion for learning. ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |

Brother Lawrence of the Resurrectionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edmonson, Robert J.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Attwater, DonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time I saw Brother Lawrence was upon the 3rd of August, 1666.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0883681056, Mass Market Paperback)

Brother Lawrence was a man of humble beginnings who discovered the greatest secret of living in the kingdom of God here on earth. It is the art of "practicing the presence of God in one single act that does not end." He often stated that it is God who paints Himself in the depths of our soul. We must merely open our hearts to receive Him and His loving presence. For nearly 300 years this unparalleled classic has given both blessing and instruction to those who can be content with nothing less than knowing God in all His majesty and feeling His loving presence throughout each simple day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

'The Practice and Presence of God' is one of the most beautiful and touching stories of Christian devotion ever written. Brother Lawrence was a Carmelite brother known for his profound peace and deep relationship with God. Many came to seek spiritual guidance from him. The wisdom that he passed on to them, in conversations and in letters, would later become the basis for this book. These two translations will help the reader find a more complete understanding of this wonderful and enduring story.… (more)

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,201,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible