dismiss

The Practice of the Presence of God

by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection

Other authors: Robert J. Edmonson (Translator), Tony Jones (Introduction)

The Practice of the Presence of God is among the most enduringly popular of all Christian devotional works. It is a collection of conversations with a simple seventeenth-century French Carmelite monk who, through the simplest of everyday activities, was able to achieve a profound intimacy with God. Brother Lawrence's teaching has resonated with Christians for more than three hundred years, and it is fitting that it is now available in this beautiful edition with a fine full-cloth cover, a sewn binding, and a ribbon marker.… (more)

Such a lovely, lovely book. ( )
  jeanbmac | Jul 28, 2020 |
A spiritual classic - now to re-read it!

I've had this in my queue forever - even before I had a Kindle, since I have a paper copy that belonged to my father. I've read at this over the years and have finally completed it.

It's a simple text, one which boils down simply to:
"we should establish ourselves in a sense of GOD'S Presence, by continually conversing with Him."

Not hard, but not easy always to remember. The most marvelous takeaway I find in it is simply saying the title as a self-command: practice the presence of God! It's a tremendously centering meditation. ( )
  mrklingon | Dec 3, 2019 |
Reprinted 1957.
  PAFM | Oct 19, 2019 |
The Practice of the Presence of God in Modern English is modern translation of the timeless spiritual classic. Written over 300 years ago in French, The Practice of the Presence of God is here presented in language understandable to the twenty-first century English reader. Not a paraphrase or an abridgment, this version is a faithful rendering of the text in the spirit of the original work.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Oct 7, 2019 |
This is perhaps one of the simplest, most practical books ever written for the spiritual life,. Brother Lawrence was an assistant in a busy monastic kitchen; like us, he had to deal with demands, schedules, noise, distractions, and variety of personalities. Like us, too, he had to deal with a multitude of inner voices constantly taking him off his primary focus: the presence of God. But, he learned to persevere, and was recognized in his own time for a remarkable, straight forward faith. When asked to describe his experience and spiritual practices, he wrote this short book.

An example: "We ought not to weary of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed." An excellent book to come back to, again and again.

Oct 2002 Goodnewsletter
  saintbedefg | Mar 6, 2019 |

Brother Lawrence of the Resurrectionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edmonson, Robert J.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Attwater, DonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time I saw Brother Lawrence was upon the 3rd of August, 1666.

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible