Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's…

Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon (1994)

by Alan Shepard, Jay Barbree, Howard Benedict, Deke Slayton

Other authors: Neil Armstrong (Introduction)

Recently added byjoshp1284, Leighc57, SherilynFossum, MFam, private library, PeterGilio, etinoco375, ecclesduo, bvmckee

English (10)  French (2)  All languages (12)
In this revised edition of the 1994 book, astronauts Alan Shepard and Deke Slayton narrate the story of America’s space exploration from the time of the first suborbital flight until shortly after astronauts walked on the moon. Proclaimed “the ultimate inside story of the United States space program” by veteran newscaster Walter Cronkite, this is the compelling, detailed account of what is widely considered the greatest feat of the twentieth century: landing man on the surface of another world.

Told only as those intimately involved with the program could tell it, this is an insider’s narrative of the history of America’s manned spaceflight program. In collaboration with veteran space reporter Jay Barbree, the two astronauts offer a unique look at NASA’s manned spaceflight program. Alan Shepard was the first American in space aboard Freedom 7 for a fifteen-minute Project Mercury suborbital flight; Deke Slayton was the last as a member of the crew for the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project. [The book ends with its look at the Apollo-Soyuz program in 1975; the first space shuttle flight in 1981 is some six years in the future. The Skylab space station program, which began in 1973, is not included here.]

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 11, 2018 |
The inside story of America's race to the moon.
The never-before-told story of the courage, dedication, and teamwork that made the journey to the moon possible--an intense human drama of the sacrifices and risks asked of a remarkable group of astronauts. Shepard and Slayton, part of the pioneering space program from the beginning, tell this fascinating inside story. 32 pages of photos. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 20, 2015 |
Well, I love books about space and space travel. But, I am sorry to say I wasn't all that enamored with this one. It really was pretty poorly written, full of cliches and didn't really reveal much that wasn't already known. Actually, the video they made to accompany this was more entertaining!

I hate to be a downer on this because Shepard and Slayton were genuine heroes, and I really wanted to like it, but it is what it is I'm afraid! ( )
  mybucketlistofbooks | Jan 10, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this. Although it isn't actually written by Shepard and Slayton themselves, they were clearly the main focuses of the journalist author's writing. The quality of the writing was I thought very evocative and moving and really brought home the majesty and significance of the Apollo missions. Marvellous, stirring stuff. 5/5 ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 31, 2012 |
Struck me as too rah-rah and did not nearly accord with what I knew already about Nasa. ( )
  RobertP | Aug 5, 2012 |

Shepard, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barbree, Jaymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Benedict, Howardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Slayton, Dekemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Armstrong, NeilIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bobbie Jo Joy Louise the wives
The two astronauts swooped toward the lunar landscape in their landing craft - the first of their kind to descend on the moon.

The successes of the space program--the first orbital flight, the first spacewalk, the first moon landing--and the stories of Apollo I, Apollo II, and Apollo 13, written by America's first man in space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible