The Moon by Seymour Simon

The Moon

by Seymour Simon

This is a great visual book that has a consistent theme. Every page is black with breathtaking photos of lunar explorations. It is not as easy to pick out information as other non-fiction texts as all the information is written out in paragraph form, lacking text boxes, subheadings and other text features, but for the interested student, they will learn a lot. Because of the colors and photos, it is a very immersive experience and I think would really allow students to imagine space travel. I would like to see it updated with information from more recent discoveries as the first edition of this book was written almost 30 years ago, and the most recent update was 14 years ago. ( )
  trevoraw | May 31, 2019 |
I thought this book was a really great nonfiction text for students. The author did a great job presenting information that was scientifically accurate and yet had language that is very straight forward. I liked that the pictures were all taken from actual telescopes and from the Apollo 13 mission. I think students would get a lot of really good information just from looking at the pictures so I think this would be really great as a part of a provocation in a unit on the solar system specifically focusing on the moon. This book could be used anywhere from K-5th grade honestly. I think if this book were used in a lower elementary classroom you could have the students look at the pictures first and then go back through and read sections of the book. The book is information heavy for lower elementary so this definitely wouldn't be a read aloud book that you would do in one sitting, but I would read parts of it as students are learning more about the properties of the moon and exploration of the moon. ( )
  Kedemah | May 30, 2019 |
This book is a good science book to share with your class, it talks about the moon. Throughout this book it gives the reader interesting facts, along with real photographs of the moon. I learned some facts about the moon that I never knew about. ( )
  lsalone | Apr 19, 2018 |
This book explains the knowledge we have of the moon as well as the traveling the United States has done to the moon. It tells of the findings the scientists have made with the samples of rocks the astronauts collected during their trips to the moon. I liked this book, I think it holds a lot of information about the moon that even I did not know. I think this is a good interdisciplinary book for literature and science. ( )
  SLAdams | Apr 10, 2018 |
This is a book all about the moon. It starts with talking about the moon relative to Earth. It goes on to talk about what the moon looks like with things such as craters. The majority of the book explains Neil Armstrong and the Apollo missions to the moon. ( )
  meghanhoward | Mar 5, 2018 |

Why is there no weather on the moon? Is there sound on the moon? Is it ever day on the moon? Why do astronauts bounce around on the moon? How old is the moon?

From Apollo 11's first landing to the mystery of moonquakes and the genesis of craters, this stunning introduction to our nearest neighbor in space describes the moon and its all-important relationship to Earth. Mesmerizing full-color photography and an informative text perfect this exciting and educational journey in space.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

A basic introduction to Earth's closest neighbor, its composition, and human missions to explore it. Illustrated with photographs of the moon taken in space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,559,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible