Cookies Unlimited

by Nick Malgieri

One of America's most talented bakers, Nick Malgieri presents an unparalleled collection of everyone's favorite treat: cookies. With more than four hundred recipes from around the world, Cookies Unlimited is one book that truly lives up to its name, offering delectable cookies both familiar and unusual, American and foreign, easy and elaborate. Malgieri's bar cookies, drop cookies, refrigerator cookies, piped cookies, biscotti , fried cookies, and sandwich cookies are just some of the many temptations in this comprehensive treasury. More than a recipe book, Cookies Unlimited is an indispensable teaching tool, guiding the home baker through every step in the cookiemaking process. Malgieri clearly and carefully describes fundamental techniques as well as advanced baking skills; from whipping up simple chocolate chip refrigerator cookies to piping perfect meringues to building a stunning gingerbread house, every technique is explained. Each chapter includes both easy cookies and elaborate ones, ensuring that bakers of all experience levels will find Cookies Unlimited useful and accessible. Malgieri's recipes are flawless, his stories and tips are enlightening, and the results are spectacular. Beautifully illustrated with four-color photographs and instructional line drawings, Cookies Unlimited is an inspiring resource for every baker and cookie lover. Whether you are baking for the holidays, filling the family cookie jar, or even trying your hand at making cookies for the first time, this is the only book you'll ever need. There are few things in life better than home-baked cookies, so indulge and enjoy!… (more)

The book is divided into clear sections which makes it easy to flip through as you look through recipes. It's wide enough that it lays open without help on the counter, which is wonderfully helpful. The directions are clear. I do find it annoying that he assumes everyone owns a stand mixer with lots of fancy attachments.

I tried 4 recipes:
Banana Walnut Squares - I used an extra mashed banana instead of the apricot jam. I found them kind of bland, but the banana kept them soft and moist for days and we happily ate them all. I really like his method for lining the pan, easing the entire cake out, then cutting the squares carefully.

Sour Cream Cinnamon Drops - easy, simple, wonderful cakey texture - boring boring flavor. Recipe makes at least twice as much cinnamon sugar as needed. I'll be keeping this recipe.

Dark Chocolate Sables - the dough went together nicely, and tasted good - but it all fell apart when I baked them. The texture was crumbly and dry, the flavor was barely chocolately. Sort of a sadder version of store brand chocolate graham crackers. Threw these away.

Ginger Snaps - Good flavor balance of the ginger and molasses. Cookies spread thinner than I expected. the recipe says bake 15-20 minutes. I pulled the first batch out at 10 and half were burned (if it were my oven, then the other 3 recipes would have gotten it too, right?) The pan that got baked for 7 minutes came out great. This may be partly an altitude thing - but that's a really big adjustment. Expect to make the time-adjusted recipe again. ( )
  ansate | Oct 18, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,401,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible