On Photography by Susan Sontag

On Photography (1977)

by Susan Sontag

2,436273,920 (4)35

English (24)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (27)
I read this when I was 17 or 18 and it changed the way I looked at photography and art. I was just entering college as a photography major so it had a big influence on me. ( )
  Paperpuss | Feb 25, 2019 |
First published in 1973, this is a study of the force of photographic images which are continually inserted between experience and reality. Sontag develops further the concept of 'transparency'. When anything can be photographed and photography has destroyed the boundaries and definitions of art, a viewer can approach a photograph freely with no expectations of discovering what it means. This collection of six lucid and invigorating essays, the most famous being "In Plato's Cave", make up a deep exploration of how the image has affected society.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 30, 2018 |
An intellectual tour de force that discusses photography and much more. Probably the most concise, dense, and thoughtful book I have read. ( )
  Michael_Lilly | Mar 18, 2018 |
This is a slightly uneven collection of essays on photography: when they were good, they were very good. When they weren’t, they were somewhat forgettable.

Her basic premise that the proliferation of photographic images has inured us to certain categories of events and promoted disengagement has some strong arguments. I would be interested to read her Regarding the Pain of Others in which she—reportedly—partially reverses her stance on this. ( )
1 vote TadAD | Aug 14, 2016 |
On the art of photography and how photography has changed our lives (for better or worse). Many, many great insights and ideas throughout. Definitely recommended. ( )
  jasonli | Feb 22, 2016 |

Susan Sontagprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jāne, ArtaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolmane, IevaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vērpe, KārlisEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zābere, IngrīdaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nicole Stéphane
Information from the Latvian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312420099, Paperback)

Winner of the National Book Critics' Circle Award for Criticism.

One of the most highly regarded books of its kind, On Photography first appeared in 1977 and is described by its author as “a progress of essays about the meaning and career of photographs.” It begins with the famous “In Plato’s Cave”essay, then offers five other prose meditations on this topic, and concludes with a fascinating and far-reaching “Brief Anthology of Quotations.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:25 -0400)

One of the most highly regarded books of its kind, On Photography first appeared in 1977 and is described by its author as "a progress of essays about the meaning and career of photographs." It begins with the famous "In Plato's Cave" essay, then offers five other prose meditations on this topic, and concludes with a fascinating and far-reaching "Brief Anthology of Quotations".

Legacy Library: Susan Sontag

Susan Sontag has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Susan Sontag's legacy profile.

See Susan Sontag's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible