Mr Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Mr Darcy Takes a Wife (1999)

by Linda Berdoll

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (digifish_books)
    digifish_books: Read the ORIGINAL book again, rather than these truly woeful 'continuations'!

Mr. Darcy takes a wife, indeed. He takes her again and again and again. I couldn't even finish this travesty of a novel. It was sex, sex and oh, more sex. I'm no prude, but I don't enjoy reading about other people having sex. It's great that they do. But, I don't want gory details. I am so glad I didn't purchase this book, as it saved me the trouble of getting a refund.

As much as we want sequels to our favorite novels, this is not one worthy of your time. Oh, unless you just want to read about sex, sex, and oh, more sex.
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife- Linda Berdoll
audio version performed by Rosalyn Landor
3 stars

I’m so embarrassed that I read this Pride and Prejudice spin-off. I feel that I have to explain myself. I’d recently finished Jo Baker’s Longbourne, and I’d enjoyed its well- researched historical fiction. I thought it would be fun to try something less serious to alleviate the pain off several days of freeway driving. I was looking for one of the zombie books, but this one was available. So that’s my excuse.

The story begins with the newly wed Elizabeth enduring the “unrelenting jiggle” of a carriage ride on the morning after her wedding. Darcy offered her a pillow but “her much abused dignity forbade her to accept such a blatant admission of conjugal congress”. Yes, Darcy and Elizabeth did IT. And they continue to do it; in the coach and in the bath, in each and every bedroom and in the Pemberley parklands. And this was very funny. They had me laughing again and again, removing every bit of my incipient road rage. But enough is enough, the Darcys’ sex life becomes a bit boring after a while. (Especially when they each expressed a disinclination to wash the scent of the beloved from their respective bodies.) I was perfectly willing to let Elizabeth and Darcy ride off to enjoy themselves in the shrubbery while enjoying the slapstick comedy of Mr. Collins on horseback.

As comedy, this book was a lot of fun, at least at the beginning. As the story became more serious, it was repetitious in another way. Catastrophes and the threats of scandal come not in threes, but endlessly. There were some strong plot lines that I think I could have enjoyed more in a work of historical fiction that was not encumbered with characters from classic literature. Georgiana in the role of battlefield nurse just didn't work for me. I also found the number of previously unknown bastard byblows and tales of ancestral infidelity overdone.

So, it’s hard to rate this one. Rosalyn Landor gets 5 stars for a stellar performance. I don’t know how anyone could read some of the lines in this book without dissolving in giggles. As a sequel to a great work of literature….. it’s hard to repress a shudder.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Fun at the beginning to imagine the early married life of Darcy and Elizabeth, but it got too bogged down with repeated sex scenes.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
My love of the 1995 BBC production of Pride and Prejudice continues on through this book. When a good story ends, you still want to find out what happened, and this was the perfect continuation. The characters are made more whole because of what Berdoll has written and the events that takes place make sense. There is a good deal of romance, suspense, heroism, tragedy and humor. This will forever be one of my favorite books. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Phil
As plush a coach as it was, recent rains tried even its heavy srings. Hence the road to Derbyshire was betimes a bit jarring. Mr. Darcy, with all gentlemanly solicitousness, offered the new Mrs. Darcy a pillow upon which to sit to cushion the ride.

Every woman wants to be Elizabeth Bennet Darcy--beautiful, gracious, universally admired, strong, daring and outspoken--a thoroughly modern woman in crinolines.

And every woman will fall madly in love with Mr. Darcy--tall, dark and handsome, a nobleman and a heartthrob whose virility is matched only by his utter devotion to his wife.

Their passion is consuming and idyllic--essentially, they can't keep their hands off each other--through a sweeping tale of adventure and misadventure, human folly and numerous mysteries of parentage.

Hold on to your bonnets! This sexy, epic, hilarious, poignant and romantic sequel to Pride and Prejudice goes far beyond Jane Austen.

This book is a furthering of the story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice through the Napoleonic Wars. It is written in Jane Austen style, historically accurate, but sexy and somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:00 -0400)

This sexy, epic, hilarious, poignant and romantic sequel to Pride and Prejudice goes far beyond being a Jane Austen sequel. Every woman wants to be Elizabeth Bennet Darcy-beautiful, gracious, universally admired, strong, daring and outspoken-a thoroughly modern woman in crinolines. And every woman will fall madly in love with Mr. Darcy-tall, dark and handsome, a nobleman and a heart-throb whose virility is matched only by his utter devotion to his wife. Their passion is consuming and idyllic through a sweeping tale of adventure and misadventure, human folly and numerous mysteries of parentage.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,422,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible