Mr Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Mr Darcy Takes a Wife (1999)

by Linda Berdoll

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (digifish_books)
    digifish_books: Read the ORIGINAL book again, rather than these truly woeful 'continuations'!

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife- Linda Berdoll
audio version performed by Rosalyn Landor
3 stars

I’m so embarrassed that I read this Pride and Prejudice spin-off. I feel that I have to explain myself. I’d recently finished Jo Baker’s Longbourne, and I’d enjoyed its well- researched historical fiction. I thought it would be fun to try something less serious to alleviate the pain off several days of freeway driving. I was looking for one of the zombie books, but this one was available. So that’s my excuse.

The story begins with the newly wed Elizabeth enduring the “unrelenting jiggle” of a carriage ride on the morning after her wedding. Darcy offered her a pillow but “her much abused dignity forbade her to accept such a blatant admission of conjugal congress”. Yes, Darcy and Elizabeth did IT. And they continue to do it; in the coach and in the bath, in each and every bedroom and in the Pemberley parklands. And this was very funny. They had me laughing again and again, removing every bit of my incipient road rage. But enough is enough, the Darcys’ sex life becomes a bit boring after a while. (Especially when they each expressed a disinclination to wash the scent of the beloved from their respective bodies.) I was perfectly willing to let Elizabeth and Darcy ride off to enjoy themselves in the shrubbery while enjoying the slapstick comedy of Mr. Collins on horseback.

As comedy, this book was a lot of fun, at least at the beginning. As the story became more serious, it was repetitious in another way. Catastrophes and the threats of scandal come not in threes, but endlessly. There were some strong plot lines that I think I could have enjoyed more in a work of historical fiction that was not encumbered with characters from classic literature. Georgiana in the role of battlefield nurse just didn't work for me. I also found the number of previously unknown bastard byblows and tales of ancestral infidelity overdone.

So, it’s hard to rate this one. Rosalyn Landor gets 5 stars for a stellar performance. I don’t know how anyone could read some of the lines in this book without dissolving in giggles. As a sequel to a great work of literature….. it’s hard to repress a shudder.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Fun at the beginning to imagine the early married life of Darcy and Elizabeth, but it got too bogged down with repeated sex scenes.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
My love of the 1995 BBC production of Pride and Prejudice continues on through this book. When a good story ends, you still want to find out what happened, and this was the perfect continuation. The characters are made more whole because of what Berdoll has written and the events that takes place make sense. There is a good deal of romance, suspense, heroism, tragedy and humor. This will forever be one of my favorite books. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
WOW.. that was amazing.. I can't ask for more than that.. the story that I thought would never be written, and ended... :)GREAT JOB Linda Berdoll..
I just can't quite believe that such a perfect sequel to Pride and Prejudice will ever be made..
but truly, a wise thinker 'sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible..'
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
No, no, no. (Note to self, read the first and third Pamela Aidan book soon to detox from these successive poorly done “fan fics” I’ve read lately). Le Sigh.

According to Ms. Berdoll, Darcy and Lizzy weren’t really good at communication before their marriage (fairly realistic) and that they don’t really need to ever talk to improve that–they just need to do it a lot (less realistic). Frequently. All the time. Anywhere. Everywhere. Hold up, middle of a serious conversation, well, it’s time to get it on, now what were you saying dear?

It was tedious. Yes, they are newlyweds. I get that. They do it like bunnies. But their actual character development and relationship building was so sporadic and disjointed–it was really difficult to figure out where they had progressed on what subject. The first few chapters of this book establish this pattern of “hunh? *head scratching.* They’re in the carriage, and Lizzy seems pissed at Darcy even though it’s the wedding day… no resolution, just sex. A few chapters go by and we go back with Lizzy thinking about what insensitivity had her pissed at him that day back in the first chapter.

It was also tediously long. If we hadn’t been there with them in the bedroom for so many pages, it all could have been so much shorter. There’s also some crazy kidnapping of Lizzy and near (well, actually partial) defilement by the nasty man and Darcy turning into some cool killer in his rage. I won’t speak to the fact that I don’t know why some women think it’s romantic to be saved from defilement.

This is really the usual formula of post-marriage Darcy stories: sex, infertility issues, miscarriages, kidnappings, etc. One unexpected feature was the author’s lingo. Bring a dictionary. She goes old school and won’t settle for words of less than four syllables. At first it was jarring, but after a bit you get used to it and she does stick with it the whole way through–consistency is a good thing.

The only redeeming quality to this book for me was that, I’ll read virtually anything Pride and Prejudice related, it was one book that was huge and thus ideal for taking on a long vacation knowing it would last me longer than the plane flight. Now it’s with a bouquinist on the banks of the Seine waiting for some American P&P devotee wanting a tome for the long plane ride home. Again, pass on this one–unless you are looking for just one travel book to last you a few days-because hey, you’ve got nothing better to do. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Phil
As plush a coach as it was, recent rains tried even its heavy srings. Hence the road to Derbyshire was betimes a bit jarring. Mr. Darcy, with all gentlemanly solicitousness, offered the new Mrs. Darcy a pillow upon which to sit to cushion the ride.

Every woman wants to be Elizabeth Bennet Darcy--beautiful, gracious, universally admired, strong, daring and outspoken--a thoroughly modern woman in crinolines.

And every woman will fall madly in love with Mr. Darcy--tall, dark and handsome, a nobleman and a heartthrob whose virility is matched only by his utter devotion to his wife.

Their passion is consuming and idyllic--essentially, they can't keep their hands off each other--through a sweeping tale of adventure and misadventure, human folly and numerous mysteries of parentage.

Hold on to your bonnets! This sexy, epic, hilarious, poignant and romantic sequel to Pride and Prejudice goes far beyond Jane Austen.

This book is a furthering of the story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice through the Napoleonic Wars. It is written in Jane Austen style, historically accurate, but sexy and somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:00 -0400)

This sexy, epic, hilarious, poignant and romantic sequel to Pride and Prejudice goes far beyond being a Jane Austen sequel. Every woman wants to be Elizabeth Bennet Darcy-beautiful, gracious, universally admired, strong, daring and outspoken-a thoroughly modern woman in crinolines. And every woman will fall madly in love with Mr. Darcy-tall, dark and handsome, a nobleman and a heart-throb whose virility is matched only by his utter devotion to his wife. Their passion is consuming and idyllic through a sweeping tale of adventure and misadventure, human folly and numerous mysteries of parentage.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,553,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible