Mr Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Mr Darcy Takes a Wife (1999)

by Linda Berdoll

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (digifish_books)
    digifish_books: Read the ORIGINAL book again, rather than these truly woeful 'continuations'!

WOW.. that was amazing.. I can't ask for more than that.. the story that I thought would never be written, and ended... :)GREAT JOB Linda Berdoll..
I just can't quite believe that such a perfect sequel to Pride and Prejudice will ever be made..
but truly, a wise thinker 'sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible..'
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
No, no, no. (Note to self, read the first and third Pamela Aidan book soon to detox from these successive poorly done “fan fics” I’ve read lately). Le Sigh.

According to Ms. Berdoll, Darcy and Lizzy weren’t really good at communication before their marriage (fairly realistic) and that they don’t really need to ever talk to improve that–they just need to do it a lot (less realistic). Frequently. All the time. Anywhere. Everywhere. Hold up, middle of a serious conversation, well, it’s time to get it on, now what were you saying dear?

It was tedious. Yes, they are newlyweds. I get that. They do it like bunnies. But their actual character development and relationship building was so sporadic and disjointed–it was really difficult to figure out where they had progressed on what subject. The first few chapters of this book establish this pattern of “hunh? *head scratching.* They’re in the carriage, and Lizzy seems pissed at Darcy even though it’s the wedding day… no resolution, just sex. A few chapters go by and we go back with Lizzy thinking about what insensitivity had her pissed at him that day back in the first chapter.

It was also tediously long. If we hadn’t been there with them in the bedroom for so many pages, it all could have been so much shorter. There’s also some crazy kidnapping of Lizzy and near (well, actually partial) defilement by the nasty man and Darcy turning into some cool killer in his rage. I won’t speak to the fact that I don’t know why some women think it’s romantic to be saved from defilement.

This is really the usual formula of post-marriage Darcy stories: sex, infertility issues, miscarriages, kidnappings, etc. One unexpected feature was the author’s lingo. Bring a dictionary. She goes old school and won’t settle for words of less than four syllables. At first it was jarring, but after a bit you get used to it and she does stick with it the whole way through–consistency is a good thing.

The only redeeming quality to this book for me was that, I’ll read virtually anything Pride and Prejudice related, it was one book that was huge and thus ideal for taking on a long vacation knowing it would last me longer than the plane flight. Now it’s with a bouquinist on the banks of the Seine waiting for some American P&P devotee wanting a tome for the long plane ride home. Again, pass on this one–unless you are looking for just one travel book to last you a few days-because hey, you’ve got nothing better to do. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
I had lots of fun reading this one.

The next thing I have to say is that if even the very idea of "Jane Austen" combined with "sex" makes you uncomfortable, stop reading right now, and go do something else to make you forget that you read the beginning of this sentence and the title of this book.

This novel is one person's idea about what happened to Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet after the last pages of [Pride and Prejudice]. The subtitle of this book is "Pride and Prejudice continues," which leads some people to refer to it as a sequel, which in my view is just nonsense. Others have called [Mr Darcy Takes a Wife] fanfiction, and although I can see that comparison, I don't see any evidence that it actually was. For one thing, it's much longer and also more structurally organized than any fanfic I've ever read. I looked at it as a soap opera version of what could have happened after P&P.

Okay, so this is no literary masterpiece. There isn't any nuance, symbolism, ah-ha moments . . . but there are some pretty entertaining bits and I had no guilt over skipping the boring parts. As I said, structurally it was okay, although on a sentence-by-sentence level it got kinda strange. At times it felt like the author wrote the story, and then went through with a 19th century thesaurus and replaced solid words with odd archaic ones. Many times I stopped and thought "that sentence actually doesn't make any sense." But I just moved on. Now, I think some of this language was tongue-in-cheek and was supposed to be fun, if not actually funny. Judging by the horrified reviews, the joke was lost on many readers. Well, many have attempted to imitate [[Jane Austen]] and as of yet no one has succeeded, so what can you expect?

As for the sex, yes, there are some steamy bits in the first half of the novel. Mr Darcy was hot and bothered through the entirety of [Pride and Prejudice], so this author lets him finally get his release. A few times. As erotica goes, it's pretty tame stuff. Despite that, many reviewers seem to have a Victorian ideal of Jane Austen, and are concerned about all the spinning in her grave she's up to since the publication of [Mr Darcy Takes a Wife]. Personally, I don't think Austen needs any 21st century readers to defend her honour. Reading all these 1 star reviews, I've learned that there are "Jane Austen purists" in the world, and from what they write, they seem like a dour, stuffy bunch who would be no fun at a party. Really, I've read some reviews that sound like they were written by Caroline Bingley. .

I also find it curious that some readers were "disappointed" by [Mr Darcy Takes a Wife]. Disappointment suggests that there were expectations of something--Jane Austen reincarnated, perhaps? Since I went into this book fully confident that it was terrible, I was quite delighted that it wasn't as bad as I'd expected.

Recommended for:: it's not serious, it's supposed to be fun. Good for P&P fans who want a beach read. ( )
1 vote Nickelini | Aug 25, 2014 |
Love it! Although it would be consider racy by Regency standards. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
How fun! ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Phil
As plush a coach as it was, recent rains tried even its heavy srings. Hence the road to Derbyshire was betimes a bit jarring. Mr. Darcy, with all gentlemanly solicitousness, offered the new Mrs. Darcy a pillow upon which to sit to cushion the ride.

Every woman wants to be Elizabeth Bennet Darcy--beautiful, gracious, universally admired, strong, daring and outspoken--a thoroughly modern woman in crinolines.

And every woman will fall madly in love with Mr. Darcy--tall, dark and handsome, a nobleman and a heartthrob whose virility is matched only by his utter devotion to his wife.

Their passion is consuming and idyllic--essentially, they can't keep their hands off each other--through a sweeping tale of adventure and misadventure, human folly and numerous mysteries of parentage.

Hold on to your bonnets! This sexy, epic, hilarious, poignant and romantic sequel to Pride and Prejudice goes far beyond Jane Austen.

This book is a furthering of the story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice through the Napoleonic Wars. It is written in Jane Austen style, historically accurate, but sexy and somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:00 -0400)

This sexy, epic, hilarious, poignant and romantic sequel to Pride and Prejudice goes far beyond being a Jane Austen sequel. Every woman wants to be Elizabeth Bennet Darcy-beautiful, gracious, universally admired, strong, daring and outspoken-a thoroughly modern woman in crinolines. And every woman will fall madly in love with Mr. Darcy-tall, dark and handsome, a nobleman and a heart-throb whose virility is matched only by his utter devotion to his wife. Their passion is consuming and idyllic through a sweeping tale of adventure and misadventure, human folly and numerous mysteries of parentage.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,871,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible