I Am Not Esther by Fleur Beale

I Am Not Esther

by Fleur Beale

The Unbeliever by Robert Swindells (mybookshelf)
    People Might Hear You by Robin Klein (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Both books are about teenage girls who suddenly find themselves living within a strictly religious community, being forced to conform yet fighting to maintain their identity.
    A Good Courage by Stephanie S. Tolan (infiniteletters)

Again, I am fascinated by cults, and this Australian novel was a well-crafted examination of a very unique group. It's a shame that books like this are so hard to come by in the states. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
read it in one sitting - quite easy to read as well as involving. Described as a best selling New Zealand classic - young adult. ( )
  SarahStenhouse | Oct 23, 2014 |
Is she Esther? Her new family tells her she is. Or is she Kirby? That’s the name and the identity she has grown up with. Who is she, really?

Kirby’s mother disappears and Kirby is sent to live with her uncle and his family. The family is part of a dogmatic fundamentalist religious group. Men make all decisions. There are no tvs, no movies, and no books. Women must marry at sixteen and must dress in clothing that conceals. Rules, rules, rules. But there are also the consolations of strong, supportive family ties and of prayer.

Kirby is confused. She desperately wants to leave; at the same time, she desperately loves this new family. And where is her mother?

A well-written, thoughtful book with a serious look at the difficulties and strengths of following the dictates of a group. ( )
  debnance | Feb 16, 2014 |
This is a compelling story of a girl, Kirby, who is suddenly left with her very religious relatives while her mother goes to Africa to be an aid worker. She is given a new name, new, modest clothes and a set of new, very restrictive rules to obey. Terrified, she tries to contact her mother without success. Although she forms bonds with some of the other children she begins to find her identity drifting away from her. ( )
  RefPenny | Jul 17, 2012 |
Loved it, Fleur Beale's writing style had me reading from page 1. Although I was unsure I would like the genre / storyline it was a encapsulating read. The story is all about a young girl, Kirby, who is left by her mother with relatives she's never met who are members of a strict religious cult. Her name is changed to the biblical Esther, and she is forced to follow the severe set of social codes of the order. Soon, Esther begins to lose her own identity.
Looking forward to reading the sequel “I am Rebecca” ( )
  rata | Mar 20, 2012 |
To Tim 1946-1998 and to our daughters Bridget and Penny
I came home from school on the last day of term, and my mother was crying.

Imagine that your mother tells you that she is going away. She is leaving you with relatives whom you have never heard of-and they are members of a strict religious cult. Your name is changed to a biblical one, Esther, and you are forced to follow the severe set of social standards set by the cult. You don't know where you mother is, and you are beginning to lose your own identity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:35 -0400)

After her mother unexpectedly leaves her with her uncle's family, members of a fanatical Christian cult, Kirby tries to learn what has become of her mother and struggles to cope with the repressiveness of her new surroundings and to maintain her own identity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,988,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible