Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Sahara Special

by Esme Raji Codell

Struggling with school and her feelings since her father left, Sahara gets a fresh start with a new and unique teacher who supports her writing talents and the individuality of each of her classmates.

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I've been meaning for years to read this book... it was worth the wait. ( )
  RobertaLea | Dec 15, 2019 |
Narrated by Phylicia Rashad. Fifth-grade Sahara has been in special ed classes until this year when her mother insists that she be pulled out. Sahara is a strong reader and creative writer but she lacks confidence and friends. Her 5th grade teacher is the quirky but patient "Miss Pointy" (Poitier) who accepts her troubled students on their terms. (She has never read the student files.) Her acceptance, support, and creative teaching methods inspire Sahara to come out of her shell through her writing. A little sappy at times.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book by Codell. It has a strange familiarity that reminds me of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Both protagonists are females that are struggling with their identity. Sahara grows up to be a flower despite having an absent father. She keeps many letters that she has written to him in her collection hoping one day that he will return; I found this to be really sad. She does not care about the fact that her father has not been in her life, she just wants him to return and accept her (tear). As a reader, you kind of understand why she acts the way she does. She is very private and finds it difficult to interact with people.
My favorite character of the story is Madame Portier or Ms. Pointy. Her unconventional teaching methods has succeeded in fostering learning and building confidence in her students. She is a prize to behold. I truly admire how she handled Darrell and his mother. You can sense her passion for teaching in the scene when she gets confronted by Darrell's mother. I hope one day that I may be able teach with as much zeal that Ms. Pointy possess. ( )
  hlmusiclover | Nov 4, 2014 |
A book written from the perspective of a child living in the inner-city... good read for teachers. ( )
  MollyK_2 | Jan 24, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,333,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible