The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick

The Book of Dead Days (2003)

by Marcus Sedgwick

Irritatingly slow. The plot twist at the end was no twist. The lack of explanations for the plot swirling around the protagonist was inexcusable even for a first book in the series. The writing wasn't stellar. ( )
  e2d2 | Jun 2, 2017 |
With the help of his servant and an orphan girl, a magician named Valerian searches graveyards, churches, and underground waterways for a book he hopes will save him from a pact he has made with evil.
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
The characters, the plot, the 'twist' was all pretty cliche. I felt nothing for any of them. ( )
  LopiCake | Mar 25, 2015 |
This book has elements of Dicken's 'Christmas Carol' and conjured up a rather TimBurton-esque storyscape for me. I joined in the adventure slinking in the dark and narrow alleyways, prowling in dim light -- searching, and cloistered somewhere dank and cramped. It is a story of what we sometimes are willing to sell our souls for -- and how well we honor our part of the deal when destiny / fate / the devil comes collecting. Perhaps, this was meant to be introspective or philosophical, and it was somewhat for me. Despite the rather morbid title, it was an enjoyable and good read.
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
While I found parts of this books fascinating with Keplar's scientific experiments and the explainations of magicians illusions, I found the characters either naive and boring, cruel and boring, or rude and boring.

Nope to our collection. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Feb 9, 2014 |
Darkness. Two hours to midnight.

AR 4.7, 9 Pts

The days between Christmas and New Year’s Eve are dead days, when spirits roam and magic shifts restlessly just beneath the surface of our lives. A lot can happen in the dead days. A magician called Valerian must save his own life within those few days, or pay the price for the pact he made with evil so many years ago. But alchemy and sorcery are no match against the demonic power pursuing him. Helping him is his servant Boy, a child with no name and no past. The quick-witted orphan girl Willow is with them as they dig in death-fields at midnight, and are swept into the sprawling blackness of a subterranean city on a journey from which there is no escape.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:17 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible