No Graves As Yet by Anne Perry

No Graves As Yet (2003)

by Anne Perry

The golden summer of 1914. A time of brief enchantment when English men and women basked in the security of wealth and power, even as the last weeks of their privileged world was swiftly passing. Theirs was a peace that led to war.
Recently added byFardo, Denluk, private library, dcy, DerryPres, pablopuente, NorthernPooka

English (25)  French (2)  All languages (27)
The Reavley siblings--Joseph, Matthew, and Judith--are devastated by the death of their parents in an automobile accident. When the scene is examined, it appears their demise may have been aided by parties unknown to them. Mr. Reavley planned to share a document of world significance with his son Matthew who works in intelligence. Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination occurs early in the story. Soon another friend is killed. Joseph, a Cambridge professor and clergyman, takes a lead role investigating. With a mixture of cozy and espionage genres, this novel just doesn't achieve success in either genre. It's too political for lovers of cozies and too quaint for readers of espionage. Perry's Inspector Monk series is for more enjoyable. ( )
1 vote thornton37814 | Nov 8, 2018 |

Full review here:

http://wp.me/pns82-1gf ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
My generation seems to be more aware of the history of WWII than WWI so this series became of particular interest to me. Having discovered Anne Perry's writing through her Christmas mysteries, I am very appreciative of the way she is able to craft her stories with descriptive language that truly pulls the reader into the feelings of each character. In this novel, I found her poignant writing in expressing grief to be very meaningful.

Without providing a spoiler, this story was more enlightening to me as my husband and I had recently watched The Crown Season 2, Episode 6, "Vergangenheit." ( )
  Corduroy7 | Dec 27, 2017 |
novel of WWI
at Camb. College / murders / documents @ treaty secret
Pg 203 long walk + drink By self surrounded by warmth of laughter / friendship w/o having to put anything in it!

On a sunny afternoon in late June, Cambridge professor Joseph Reavley is summoned from a student cricket match to learn that his parents have died in an automobile crash. Joseph’s brother, Matthew, as officer in the Intelligence Service, reveals that their father had been en route to London to turn over to him a mysterious secret document—allegedly with the power to disgrace England forever and destroy the civilized world. A paper so damning that Joseph and Matthew dared mention it only to their restless younger sister. Now it has vanished.
  christinejoseph | Jul 31, 2017 |
I'm afraid I just don't care enough to finish this book. Too much politics and world events. That's not really why I read these type of books. I would have strugged on if the characters were interesting, but I didn't really care about them at all. Oh well, back to the Monk series, which is the only thing of Perry's I seem to enjoy. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my grandfather, Captain Joseph Reavley, who served as chaplain in the trenches during the Great War.
It was a golden afternoon in late June, a perfect day for cricket.
‘The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.’

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,785,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible