Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

English (65)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (67)
Updated review after re-read:
I have to say that this book is a lot better if you are already familiar with the world. After having read the series once and now re-reading it, I came to enjoy this book even more. I also noticed how my thoughts would return again and agains to some scenes in this book, to the extent that it is the book I have the most fond memories of in the series (the chain of dogs is one of the most memorable storylines of the series).

So, I'll upgrade to 5 stars, but be aware that on my first read of the series, it only "clicked" somewhere halfway through the book.

Old review after first read:
GoodReads needs to implement half stars.

I feel bad giving this book 4 stars, because it was better than a lot of other books I gave four stars to. On the other hand, it's not up there with my 5 star-Books.

Again, the book took some time to pick up speed. To its credit: It was never boring. I was really interested in just about all of the characters. All of them had an interesting backstory and were characterized very well.

Erikson also did a good job of making it hard to hate any one side of the conflict. Sure, some sides are considered "evil", some "good", but then again, if you view the empire as "evil", like some characters do, you can't help but be impressed by Coltaine (Can't go into details for fear of spoilers). And vice versa, if you consider the troops of the Apocalypse to be "evil", there are still good people in them.

I especially liked the last 200 pages of the book, and if the whole book had been like them, it would have been an easy 5 stars. The pacing was great and I repeatedly had to debate if I want to keep reading or actually be alive the next day (reading usually won).

The book also managed to get an emotional response from me, from hatred for some characters (Which means that they were characterized very well) to actually almost crying near the end.

Do I recommend this book? Yes, though I must note that this book is not for people easily shocked, as there are some nasty things happening, including some graphic descriptions. I felt more than a bit sick after a particular scene (The bloodflies at the prisoner camp). You have been warned. If you can stomach this stuff, by all means, start reading the series (But begin with part one or you won't understand a thing). And don't be put off if you don't understand everything. Some things get explained later on, and those which aren't, you can usually piece together yourself.

Now, please excuse me, I need to begin reading the next book. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Malazan Book of the Fallen #2 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
The main character in this book is the Malazan empire. Or it felt like this to me. However I enjoyed this 2nd book even more than the first. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Breathtaking in it's scope.
However, it's definitely one of those series that could really use a "What's gone before" at the beginning of the novel to ensure that readers can pick up on continuing threads from the previous novel "Gardens of the Moon" ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Abandoned @ 10%

I'm invoking the "Life is too short and I have too many better books to read" clause.

It's just the same old clichés in a new fantasy setting and long to boot. There's just nothing interesting here. Next! ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible