Hawaii (1959)

by James A. Michener

"[A] mammoth epic of the islands, [a] vast panorama, wonderful."THE BALTIMORE SUNAmerica's preeminent storyteller, James Michener, introduced an entire generation of readers to a lush, exotic world in the Pacific with this classic novel. But it is also a novel about people, people of strength and character; the Polynesians; the fragile missionaries; the Chinese, Japanese, and Filipinos who intermarried into a beautiful race called Hawaiians. Here is the story of their relationships, toils, and successes, their strong aristocratic kings and queens and struggling farmers, all of it enchanting and very real in this almost mythical place.… (more)

My first Michener experience at the tender age of 12. I will never forget the opening scenes of Hawaii. Michener is a painter of words, I felt the explosions of the Earth as the volcanoes erupted, saw the multiplicity of the colors when the lava flowed into the sea. And that was just the first chapter!

Long before social justice was trendy, Michener took on issues of religious oppression, sexual slavery, and so many more while weaving a thousand page plus plot that kept you inextricably linked to the very end. Hawaii is one of Michener's best! ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
This classic, published in 1959, purchased after visiting Hawaii in 2010, was the final book on my to-read shelf. I read through everything else on that shelf during the height of the pandemic (March 2020 through February 2022), saving this 1036-page book for last. It starts slow, and ends rather weakly, but the parts in the middle are quite good. The book traces the history of Hawaii from its prehistoric formation (no people in that chapter, so I only skimmed it), through the arrival of the original Hawaiians, the American missionaries, the Chinese, and the Japanese, up to 1954, just before statehood. James Michener creates memorable characters that one can care about. Parts of the book may be politically incorrect today, but it is (well-researched) historical fiction, accurate for the time it was written. ( )
1 vote riofriotex | Mar 14, 2022 |
I got 50 pages from the end and then packed it in. It's long, really long.

In fairness to Mr. Michener, I did like most of the book but found the move into modern day Hawaii a little boring, so I just quit.

blnq | Dec 26, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
Three months later...but what fun to read in a year when I first visited Hawaii and Japan. ( )
  giovannaz63 | Jan 18, 2021 |

Michener, James A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lorch, FritzTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Millions upon millions of years ago, when the continents were already formed and the principal features of the earth had been decided, there existed, then as now, one aspect of the world that dwarfed all others.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,679,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible