HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The True Story of Noah's Ark

by Tom Dooley

One of the most stunning, unique and captivating books on the account of the Ark and the global Flood of Noah's day ever produced. Based on the account recorded in Genesis 6-9 in the Bible, the narrative is true to the biblical record and its timeline of events concerning Noah and the Great Flood, with added insight as to what it might have been like to be in Noah's shoes.This book is not just material for Ministry to Children, but can also be used as an excellent Evangelical tool. The thrilling adventure of Noah comes to life through the dazzling, detailed illustrations by Bill Looney and from the multi-media presentation of author Tom Dooley. This dramatic and exciting retelling of a timeless Bible story is an excellent resource and should have a place in every Church Library.… (more)

Noah’s ark and the worldwide flood of Genesis are amongst the Bible events most often retold in children’s picture books. Despite the fact that you likely have a copy of one (or more) Noah’s ark picture books/board books etc. on your bookshelves, if you hold to a literal, young earth understanding of the book of Genesis this is one rendering of the historical event that you’ll want to purchase.

Recounted in an in-depth, factual manner, author Tom Dooley presents the pre-flood world as it is sketched for us in the Bible, and realistically examines the design, dimensions, and logistics of life aboard the ark. As such, the books strength lies not in it’s narrative re-telling (which is a bit dry) but simply in the fact that Dooley takes the flood seriously and treats it as history.

The True Story of Noah’s Ark reads a bit more like a well-illustrated middle-school textbook than it does a storybook. Because of the reading style, we normally need to read through this book in two or three sittings. There is a lot of text, and my children can zone out after awhile.

Illustrator Bill Looney uses computer-illustration for the copious numbers of detailed pictures included in the book. While computer-illustration is never my favorite style, Looney manages to approximate traditional, realistic, detailed artwork with that medium than any other children’s illustrator I’ve seen.

This lovely hardcover also comes with a CD complete with a reading of the book’s text with background music and sound effects. If only there were indicators of when to turn the page, then pre-readers could have the book read to them by the author on CD.

What really sets this book apart is the strong emphasis on the historical reality of Noah and the flood. Dinosaurs are shown boarding and on board the ship (something rarely found in traditional books about Noah) and the sheer scope and scale of the area available for transporting animals is clearly on display. Our family really appreciates the visuals provided at the back of the book that compare the real ark dimensions with the boats normally shown in children’s literature. We also appreciate the connection between Jesus being our ark of salvation and the Old Testament ark that God provided for the salvation of His people.

I’m passionate about teaching children Bible events as history, and am always quick to assure my four-year-old when she asks, “Was Noah real?” that yes, indeed, he was! If you only have room in your library for one picture book about Noah, and presenting the events that took place in his life as historical fact is important to you, take a good look at this title, I think you’ll be well pleased. ( )
  jenniferbogart | Oct 5, 2010 |

audio CD and pull-out spread are not available.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,300,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible