dismiss

Dark of the Moon (2007)

by John Sandford

Series: Virgil Flowers (1)

Virgil Flowers is sent to Bluestem, a small town where everyone knows everyone else, to investigate the murders of a man burned to death in his home and a doctor and his wife, unaware that he is tracking a murderer who may be targeting Virgil as his next victim.
Recently added byArina40, nixanook, Book-Queen, Texapina
    Bad Blood by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers
    Rough Country by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers
    Heat Lightning by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers

I still say that John Sandford was trolling his readers with the first book in his series. He took all of the complaints of the Lucas Davenport series and just went to level 10 with everything. Lucas was a man that no man can say no to, Virgil rolls into town and gets a woman interested in him in like 5 minutes. Lucas does things out of bounds, well Virgil just goes and works around local law enforcement until he needs them as well and oh in one case several people get shot up and I don't even know what was happening at this point. This first book was a waste of time.

"Dark of the Moon" follows Virgil Flowers who was introduced in the Lucas Davenport series. We know that Virgil has been married three times and this book pretty much delves into how stupid Virgil is when it comes to women. Poor guy, he's unable to just be a professional without noting how hot or not hot some woman is. Blech.

Anyway, "Dark of the Moon" has Virgil called in on a case involving a man and woman who were murdered in the home in the town of Bluestem. Virgil is called in due to the way that the dead man was posed. On his way to the town, he stops when he sees a local rich man's house on fire. Virgil is quickly involved in both cases and wonders if something ties them together. This being a Sandford book of course something ties them together. Something stupid, but something does. We also have Virgil get involved with someone and lord that whole thing just made me tired. I already updated you all on how they watched her brother (the local sheriff) have sex and I just want to put that mess out of my mind. This book almost broke me. Almost.

Virgil is not worth me talking about besides his whole thing when he's trying to write the case as a mystery novelist made me laugh and laugh. He's a terrible writer. His reasoning skills are up there with Lucas. They just seem to come to conclusions about things and they are always right.

The other characters were barely developed. It was hard to keep everyone straight because the two cases tie back to something else and to the rich guy who was also a secret sex addict. Let's just say something happened way back when tied back to something and somehow the word moon got thrown in.

The writing was early Sandford and the flow was awful. The book felt endless after a while.

The ending made me sigh because per early Sandford, we find out about a character (something unsavory) but Sandford via his character just let's it go. I was bored and annoyed the entire time while reading this. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I've read and reread the Prey series many times, so was cautious about a new main character. Virgil Flowers is wonderful - Sandford has begun another (spinoff) winning series! ( )
  ker95tx | May 27, 2020 |
The intro of Virgil Flowers, and I liked it. A little slow to develop, but once the plot started pulling together, it was well paced.

Maybe not Sandford's *best*, but a very enjoyable read. ( )
  ker95tx | May 27, 2020 |
The very first Flowers Novel ( )
  jefware | Jul 5, 2019 |
Great book, I really enjoy the Virgil Flowers stories, quite a bit more than Davenport if I must say so. I think it's the lighthearted fun Virgil displays in everything he does. This one, an old man was murdered in his home and the home was burned down around him. This little town has a lot of secrets, and as with any little town someone else knows them. ( )
  readafew | Jun 4, 2019 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Benjamin Curtis

Happy Birthday, 2007
Six garbage bags full of red cedar shavings, purchased two at a time for a dollar a bag, at midnight, at the self-serve shed at Dunstead & Daughter Custom Furniture, serving your fine cabinetry needs since 1986.

Virgil Flowers

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,922,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible