Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein

Raven Stole the Moon

by Garth Stein

When Jenna Rosen abandons her comfortable Seattle life to visit Wrangell, Alaska, it's a wrenching return to her past. Wrangell is located near the Thunder Bay Resort, where Jenna's young son, Bobby, disappeared two years before. His body was never recovered, and Jenna is determined to lay to rest the aching mystery of his death.--From publisher's description.… (more)
    The Language of Trees: A Novel by Ilie Ruby (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similar themes and use of Native mythology

A grieving mother returns to the place where she lost her son looking for closure. Filled with the Haida folklore of the kushtaka, creating a mystical setting. ( )
  poetreegirl | Nov 19, 2018 |
Garth Stein published Raven Stole the Moon more than a decade before The Art of Racing in the Rain became a New York Times Bestseller. The jacket summary intrigued me: a Seattle woman grieving the loss of her five-year-old son returns to her ancestral hometown in Alaska where she is confronted by Tlingit spirits.

I wanted to enjoy Raven Stole the Moon more than I did. I found that I could not relate to main character Jenna as much as I related to the dog narrator of The Art of Racing in the Rain. I suspect this is due to a combination of Stein’s inexperience as novelist at the time and the fact that he’s a man. Sometimes male writers have trouble realistically creating female characters (and vice versa, I’m sure.) In some ways, the plot was predictable and both Jenna and her husband’s choices irritated me. The supernatural aspects to the story didn’t quite work for me either. ( )
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
This is an early book of Stein's (1998) that was re released after the phenomenal success of The Art of Racing in the Rain (2008). I loved racing, but this book is disjointed, unfocused, and just awful. It started out okay, but quickly got murky. This attests how ten years makes a big difference in a writer's skill. ( )
  Lauralmoe | Jan 10, 2014 |
I read this a few years ago but the new cover tricked me. Scary read as you can almost see this happening. ( )
  bead-nut | Jun 5, 2013 |
Mostly I loved this. I found the scenes in the first half from Jenna's point of view to be super intriguing - it was the kind of thing I could happily read a few hundred pages of without even thinking of setting it down, and that doesn't happen very often.

The second half was slightly less interesting (though still very good), perhaps because the foreshadowing in the first bit was so well done that it would have been hard to live up to my expectations. And the last 50 pages in particular could have been improved, I think - it's based on Native American/First Nations folklore, so you'd have to work within that, but I think even a few slight tweaks could have made me like it more. ( )
  cecily2 | Dec 29, 2012 |
Akakoschi! (See!)
For my mother, who taught me how to tell a story
She closed her eyes and held herself under the water.

Garth Stein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Garth Stein chatted with LibraryThing members from May 17, 2010 to May 28, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible