Creating 3-D Animation: The Aardman Book of Filmmaking (1998)

by Peter Lord, Aardman (Author), Brian Sibley (Author)

Other authors: Nick Park (Foreword)

From the creators of the wildly successful Wallace and Gromit films and Chicken Run, here is a unique guide to making your own 3-D (or stop-action) animation.The book sets the achievements of Aardman Studios into the tradition of 3-D animation, which spans such Hollywood triumphs as King Kong and well-known characters like Godzilla. At the heart of the book is a guide to the process of 3-D animation today: a practical, fully illustrated, step-by-step description of how to create effective characters, a storyboard and sets, and then an entire film.For this third edition, the introduction and the history of the medium have both been revised to incorporate the latest work by Aardman and others. All the CGI material has been augmented, updated, and integrated into the practical sections of the book. The "Making a Film" chapter is completely revamped to emphasize the difference in approach, structure, and technique when applied to scripting, characterization, short films, television, advertising, and feature films… (more)

This is a book I've had on my shelf for a while, but never read. It was given to me by a friend when I was taking a class on stop motion animation. I grew up seeing stop motion as a kid, especially during Christmas season. I had seen some of the Wallace and Grommit shorts, and Chicken Run as well. This book details the entire process of making stop motion animation at Aardman. It is so much more in depth than I had learned in my little introduction class.

This book uses an extensive collection of pictures to document the process of creating the characters and bring them to life, one frame at a time. While this method isn't very common now, it would be a great introduction to animation concepts for young readers. ( )
  BJPetrie | May 5, 2014 |

Peter Lordprimary authorall editionscalculated
AardmanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sibley, BrianAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Park, NickForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0810919966, 0810949717

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,003,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible