The Summer Country by James A. Hetley

The Summer Country

by James A. Hetley

Intense. Eventually after a bit of a dragging start. I'm always a bit wary of fantasy novels that use sex as prime motivator for any of the characters to do anything. Having all the main characters driven primarily by lust in various forms doesn't work very well even if you're an author as talented as Hetley. Having one of the characters suffering from the trauma of a previous rape doesn't help make it comfortable reading.

Maureen is our main heroine and she's still somewhat damaged about being raped by her sister's boyfriend when she was a young girl. Her sister doesn't know. Meanwhile over in the fae we have triplets and a deprived kobold who has been rejected by all the pretty women and now wants domination over every woman he can lay his hands on. The sisters turn out to have potent Old Power blood which makes them even more attractive to the fae, and despite knowing nothing about faereland they soon get beguiled there. You can pretty much imagine how the rest of it works out. There's nothing graphic, but it's still pretty uncomfortable reading in places.

Maureen uses and overcomes her fears far to readily given how demanding they'd been in the opening third, although some of this is explained by a fae glamour it doesn't make it any more acceptable. The rest of the story does get interesting though, with some neat faere magic interacting between the different dynamics and politics. It is however easily the weakest Hetley story I've read, lacking some cohesion, having a feeling of plot inconsistencies and generally not being as enthralling as the others. AT least part of this is following multiple character lines in a relatively short novel. So none of them are as fully developed as would otherwise have been possible. Trying to explain the fae motivations through their viewpoints also doesn't work very well. The story did end well in an intriguing place so I probably will read the sequel at some point. ( )
  reading_fox | Jun 2, 2015 |
A portal fantasy with celtic trappings. Really, its a fairly ordinary book which fails to stand out in any way, though managing never to be too dull. The basic storyline is a reasonably interesting one, and there are some character relationships which are fairly compelling, but I don't think the writing is able to rise to the level to fully deal with the themes the author is trying to deal with. ( )
  iftyzaidi | Sep 25, 2010 |
I decided to try this book because I'd enjoyed his dragon stories for the strong women.. unfortunately, the women in this book leave some to be desired, especially at the start, and the pacing is so slow that it feels like the whole book happens in the last quarter. I think there's a decent enough story under all that, an interesting modern+faerie sort of tale along with the struggle of the sisters to deal with their inner and outer demons, but honestly I'm not sure I would have even finished the book if I hadn't enjoyed his other novels. ( )
  terriko | Jul 27, 2009 |
Cliché, cliché, cliché. This is what I get for judging a book by it's cover. ( )
  RuzNuz | Mar 27, 2007 |
I needed to take a break from this one to read Kushiel's Dart and I've found I really don't care if I go back to it or not, so I'm moving my focus to other books in the TBR mountain.
  rocalisa | Jul 25, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441012205, Mass Market Paperback)

Stuck in a dead-end convenience store job, young Maureen Pierce has no hope of a better life. She is crazy: she hears voices and sees visions no one else does, and she may not live past shift's end. Walking home alone through the wintry midnight, Maureen is attacked by a stranger. Her gun misfires. Then a second man appears, attacking her attacker--and Maureen must be going crazy again. For the newcomer looks sometimes like a modern man, and sometimes like a knight in shining mail--and he claims that both he and Maureen have the Old Blood of the Summer Country in their veins...

Readers weary of fantasy novels that reuse the same old faerie stereotypes will be happily surprised by James A. Hetley's strong, gritty debut novel The Summer Country. Hetley boldly reimagines the Celtic otherworld for modern times, and he doesn't forget the dark danger at the heart of the myth. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:33 -0400)

Maureen Pierce has led an ordinary life, but everything changes when she meets Brian Albion. He claims she carries a blood legacy that goes back to the old country where deadly battles are still fought with magic, and a woman who carries the blood of the Old Ones is a prize to be desired--or a threat to be destroyed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible