The Dog Said Bow-Wow by Michael Swanwick

The Dog Said Bow-Wow (2007)

by Michael Swanwick

Other authors: Terry Bisson (Introduction)

Series: Darger and Surplus (1 - short stories)

209883,647 (3.85)None

The first story, "'Hello' Said the Stick", was terrific but the remainder were ok and a few were less than ok for me. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Absolutely fantastic short stories. Swanwick writes with a verve and imagination I have rarely seen in sf, and his fantasy is always fresh and fiesty. The only story I didn't love was "The Skysailor's Tale," which meandered. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A delightful collection of science fiction short stories. Swanwick's control of tone in his writing is remarkably precise, and I also liked his essentially sympathetic view of his characters (whether they end up happily or otherwise). The book includes three Darger and Surplus stories - 'The Dog Said Bow-Wow'; 'The Little Cat Laughed to See Such Sport'; and 'Girls and Boys, Come Out to Play' - and these were my favorites. Darger and Surplus are roguish con-artists in a post-post-Singularity/ steampunk/ Apocalypse (and surplus is an uplifted dog); the setting would be interesting even if the characters and plot weren't, but they're great too. Most of the others are well-constructed stories, each built around a single clever or insightful idea. ( )
  bezoar44 | Jan 11, 2015 |
Collection of short stories, surprising in content and variety. Here we find a bit of cyberpunk, picaresque, mythology, past, future, all well written and mixed in unexpected combinations. Long time I don't get from a book such a feeling of having read something so original.

Out of 16 stories, I only got bored or uninterested in couple of them, which I think makes a great result for a compilation. ( )
  ivan.frade | Sep 19, 2014 |
Tin marsh
An episode of stardust
The sky sailor's tale
Legions in time
The little cat laughed to see such sport
The bordello in faerie
The last geek
Girls and boys, come out to play
A great day for brontosaurs
Dirty little war
A small room in Koboldtown
Urdumheim. ( )
  SChant | May 9, 2014 |

Michael Swanwickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bisson, TerryIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Hello," said the stick.

Collects the following stories:
"'Hello,' Said the Stick"
"The Dog Said Bow-Wow"
"Slow Life"
"Triceratops Summer"
"Tin Marsh"
"An Episode of Stardust"
"The Skysailor's Tale"
"Legions in Time"
"The Little Cat Laughed to See Such Sport"
"The Bordello in Faerie"
"The Last Geek"
"Girls and Boys, Come Out to Play"
"A Great Day for Brontosaurs"
"Dirty Little War"
"A Small Room in Koboldtown"
"Urdumheim"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 189239152X, Paperback)

Science fiction and fantasy's most adept short-story author reinvents some classic themes in an engaging collection that includes three of his Hugo award–winning stories. These smart expansions of traditional themes summon dinosaurs, dragons, peril in space, myths, faeries, and time travel, each undergoing artful alchemy to create serious genre literature that is playful, original, and clever. Comprising 16 imaginative and mischievous adventures, including the previously unpublished novelette, The Skysailor's Tale, this adroit gathering makes a collection to truly revel in.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

A collection of sixteen stories from the Hugo-winner features such situations as time-traveling dinosaurs wreaking havoc on a quiet town in Vermont to a locked room murder of an ogre.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,777,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible