The Rose & the Ring by William Makepeace…

The Rose & the Ring (1854)

by William Makepeace Thackeray

Series: Junior Great Books (3.4)

The Chronicles of Pantouflia by Andrew Lang (GeraniumCat)
    GeraniumCat: The Rose and the Ring is a fairy story from much the same period as Chronicles of Pantouflia, and has very much the same tone.

This is a short, silly story about two kingdoms called Paflagonia and Crim Tartary, and the dealings of the Fairy Blackstick, who decrees that the best thing for two royal babies in these realms is for them to experience a bit of misfortune. There are cases of mistaken identity, wicked characters who receive their just deserts eventually, and some very silly character names. The story is told with arch narration and is amusing enough. I’m not sure how much of it will stick with me, but it’s certainly worth trying out if you like that sort of old-fashioned story. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 23, 2018 |
According to the author's introduction, this was intended to be put on as a dramatic presentation, or pantomime, at Christmastime, for children.

It was indeed published at Christmas (1854), but I'm not at all convinced that the main intended audience was children. This is, technically, a fairy tale, but it's mainly a political and social satire, caricaturing the events and personalities of the day. I'm quite certain that quite a lot of the humor flew past me, but it seems that it was quite timely.

The titular rose and ring are magical objects that makes the bearer seem irresistibly beautiful to those around them. They originate with the Fairy Blackstick, who is quite unpopular after wishing some infants 'misfortune' at their christenings, rather than magical blessings. However, sometimes a bit of misfortune is good for the character.

The plot is a rather slapstick romantic comedy, with quite a lot of lampooning of the upper crust. It's entertaining - but was probably even funnier 150 years ago. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
One of my favorite books when young and one I still like -- I bought this papernback after mislaying the hardback I had as a child, which I later discovered. I loved the names of the characters --especially the gallant Captain of the Guard, Kutasoff Hedzoff, and enjoyed the complexity of the plot, in which the magic rose and ring (which make their possessors the most desirable people) are exchanged among several characters with extraordinary results, and the Fairy Blackstick sees to it that the hero and heroine benefit by a little misfortune, and then end happily ever after, and everyone else gets his/her just rewards, from the usurping kings Valoroso and Padilla down to the footman's odious wife Barbara Griselda Gruffanuff. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 23, 2013 |
Sometimes I'm really sad that I'm an adult. When I was a child, I read an excerpt from this fairy tale and loved it. When I was a young adult in library school I saw that I had read only a excerpt and went in search of the entire book. That being in the dark ages before Amazon, it took me several decades to find the book. And, now, alas, after trying twice, I've found it unreadable. The character I really liked only appears in chapter 4. The rest of the characters are drawn to make moral points. The anti-drinking, dancing and card playing messages are ubiquitous. The story is long and it's rather clear how it will come out. So I've passed my copy on to someone younger who can overlook it's faults and still appreciate it. If only I'd had the whole book when I was twelve. ( )
  aulsmith | Dec 24, 2012 |
Perfectly delightful illustrations in the Larger Dumpy Books for Children edition. ( )
  KayCliff | Aug 4, 2012 |

William Makepeace Thackerayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kredel, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is Valoroso XXIV, King of Paflagonia, seated with his Queen and only child at their royal bnrekfast-table, and receiving the letter which announces to his Majesty a proposed visit from Prince Bulbo, heir of Padella, reigning King of Crim Tartary.
Prince Giglio ... delivered a speech so magnificent that no report can do justice to it. It was all in blank verse ... it lasted for three days and three nights, during which not a single person who heard him was tired, or remarked the diference between daylight and dark.

Between the kingdoms of Paflagonia and Crim Tartary, there lived a mysterious personage, who was known in those countries as the Fairy Blackstick, from the ebony wand or crutch which she carried; on which she rode to the moon sometimes, or upon other excursions of business or pleasure, and with which she performed her wonders. When she was young, and had been first taught the art of conjuring by the necromancer, her father, she was always practicing her skill, whizzing about from one kingdom to another upon her black stick, and conferring her fairy favors upon this Prince or that.… (more)

Legacy Library: William Makepeace Thackeray

William Makepeace Thackeray has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Makepeace Thackeray's legacy profile.

See William Makepeace Thackeray's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,851,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible