The Chalice and The Blade by Riane Eisler

The Chalice and The Blade (1987)

by Riane Eisler

1,156None7,018 (3.83)10

English (8)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (14)
While I do not agree with all the exact speculations and facts Eisler presents in this book, she does an excellent job of exploring certain themes I am very interested in at the moment. In other words, this book has gifted me with the vocabulary to properly discuss (probably mostly with myself) the problems I have with society at large, and for that I am thankful. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
I'm pretty sure I read most if not all of this for anthropology back when ( don't remember much about it now ) ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
I read this book eons ago and was floored by not only all of the interesting data that Ms. Eisler was positing, but by the wealth of documentation that she provided to support her hypothesis. And it really didn't hurt that it clearly shows how well the world functioned with matriarchal societies, as opposed to all the issues we face under the patriarchal societies that we have today.

Personally my belief is for Power With, not Power Over. And between matriarchal and patriarchal, the matriarchal society is much closer to Power With.

Jut my very, very, quick 2¢ for a book that I read back in 1989. ( )
  Isisunit | Jan 11, 2013 |
The biggest mistake people are making when reading this book is they keep refering to feminism when in fact this book is about humanism and the imbalance in our society today. Historicaly she is correct in pointing out that wars and bully behavior can be atributed to the male aspect of society. In some cases I disagree with her but for the most part the book hits on some very valid points. It is often hard for people to accept anything that shakes the foundations of the status quo and she does exactly that. Taken with a grain of salt this book should be read if for any other reason than to see a different perspective on life and our history. Too often academia pollutes the minds with so called fact and pseudo science that is based on bias and rhetorical theory. The mind is like a parachute, it only works when open. ( )
  JohnnyGnote | Dec 31, 2011 |
I read this several years ago and found it incredibly exciting and paradigm-changing. I would like to reread it again now from a more critical perspective to see if it still seems that way... ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |

Riane Eislerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hassi, SatuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Loye,
my partner in life and work
Preserved in a cave sanctuary for over twenty thousand years, a female figure speaks to us about the minds of our early Western ancestors.

Introduction:

This book opens a door. The key to unlock it was fashioned by many people and many books, and it will take many more to fully explore the vast vistas that lie behind it. But even opening this door a crack reveals fascinating new knowledge about our past - and a new view of our potential future.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062502891, Paperback)

Some books are like revelations, they open the spirit to unimaginable possibilities. The Chalice and the Blade is one of those magnificent key books that can transform us and...initiate fundamental changes in the world. With the most passionate eloquence, Riane Eisler proves that the dream of peace is not an impossible utopia. -- Isabelle Allende, author of The House of the Spirits

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible