Another City, Not My Own by Dominick Dunne

Another City, Not My Own (1997)

by Dominick Dunne

I will start this review by disclosing that, in my opinion, Dominic Dunne could do no wrong. Every month, when I open my new Vanity Fair, I still regret that there is no longer a Dominic Dunne column to savour.

Dunne's recurring character (alter-ego?), Gus Bailey is sitting in a Los Angeles courtroom covering the trial of O.J.Simpson by day. By night he is being wined and dined by L.A.'s power players eager to hear every detail of the trial. Although this book is fictionalized, real names and occurrences are used. Based on the views in Dunne's columns I would have to say that this book is only veiled with the most transparent covering of 'fiction'.

During the trial I was astounded that people actually could make themselves believe that this horrible murderer was innocent. I could hardly believe that Johnnie Cochrane was able to pull off such a side-show looking at the case through the lens of race rather than as a terrible murder of two innocent people. Like almost everyone in North America, the Simpson murder trial was part of my daily life. When it became clear that Simpson would most likely be acquitted I felt disgust that I thought was generally shared by all. WRONG. I had been at my job for a number of years working well with my colleagues and enjoying their company in my home as well as enjoying pleasant evenings in theirs. When the verdict came in, one of my friends shook her fist in my face and yelled 'That will teach you!". ...okay...

Anyway - the book offers a fascinating glimpse into the courtroom of 'The Trial of the Decade' Dunne paints comprehensive portraits of all the major players - as only someone who has spent every minute in the courtroom can do. Because the book is fiction, he was able to paint emotion and feelings on to the characters who became so familiar to us all. If you haven't had enough of 'OJ', read this book. If you have convinced yourself of his innocence, give it a miss. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Sep 24, 2016 |
I was in Thailand while the OJ trial was THE only story out of the United States at the time - this book gets to the root of why we were all fascinated by it all. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
It was interesting to read these accounts of the O.J. Simpson trial I paid so much attention to. It was also interesting to think of how the "players" have fared over the past two decades; mostly not well.
Lots of name-dropping, but that was typical of Dunne. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
You know how a pointellist painting makes a whole picture out of separate colored specks ? This book was like that. individual paragraphs, slices of conversation, reactions and responses almost in passing -- but by the time I was half way through the book these all began to meld together into a whole story. it grabs you. ( )
  TerriBooks | Mar 31, 2012 |
Guilty pleasure. Gossip/name dropping heaven. Simple writing but amazingly addictive. ( )
  LARA335 | Nov 7, 2010 |
For Griffin, Alex and Hannah

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0609601008, Hardcover)

Dominick Dunne was a ringside witness to the O.J. Simpson criminal trial, about which he wrote extensively for Vanity Fair magazine. In Another City, Not My Own, he revisits the case, this time in fictional form. In this "novel in the form of a memoir," Dunne's fiction skates perilously close to fact in most instances. O.J., Marcia Clark, Johnnie Cochran, and a whole host of celebrity characters keep their own names while the life story of protagonist Gus Bailey closely follows Dunne's own. Like Dunne, Bailey--who has appeared in previous works by the author--is a journalist, the father of a murdered child and thus a keen chronicler of the American justice system. The O.J. Simpson trial is a natural magnet for such a man.

Throughout the novel, Bailey spends his days in the courtroom and his evenings at celebrity-studded soirees; names such as Heidi Fleiss, Elizabeth Taylor, and Kirk Douglas punctuate the narrative as Dunne comments on the case, the sensibilities of both the accused and his accusers, and the roles of race, fame, and guilt in America today. But shocking as the Simpson case was, Dunne's denouement to his fictional memoir is so bizarre that it may well eclipse the verdict entirely.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

A hot summer on the Northumberland coast, and Julie Armstrong arrives home from a night out to find her son murdered. Luke has been strangled, laid out in a bath of water, and covered with wild flowers. This stylized murder scene has Inspector Vera Stanhope and her team intrigued. But then a second bodythat of beautiful young teacher Lily Marshis discovered laid out in a rock pool, the water strewn with flowers. Now Vera must work quickly to find this dramatist, this killer who is making art out of death. Clues are slow to emerge from those who had known Luke and Lily, but Vera soon finds herself drawn towards the curious group of friends who discovered Lilys body. What unites these four men and one woman? Are they really the close-knit, trustworthy unit they claim to be? As local residents are forced to share their private lives and those of their loved ones, sinister secrets are slowly unearthed. And, all the while, the killer remains in their midst, waiting for an opportunity to prepare another beautiful, watery grave.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,413,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible