Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter

Blindsighted (2001)

by Karin Slaughter

Series: Sara Linton (1), Grant County (1)

English (72)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (85)
I thought Blindsighted was just OK. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and I guessed early on who the killer was. It definitely had its suspenseful moments, but sometimes I found of the description of the violence a little too graphic. 3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Blindsighted
4 Stars

Warning: this book is not for the squeamish or faint of heart as the crimes are described in gruesome and horrific detail.

While the characters are very compelling it is difficult to say that they are likable. They are all seriously flawed from Sara, the local pediatrician/coroner, with a devastating secret to Jeffrey, the local police chief and Sara's unfaithful ex-husband, to Lena, the hard-ass female detective with a huge chip on her shoulder. Nevertheless, the plot is well-written and fast paced although the villain is a little too obvious- the fact that he uses Belladonna makes him the only viable suspect, and the ending is somewhat anti-climactic.

This is my second Karin Slaughter book and I enjoy her dark and gritty writing style. Moreover, the characters are sufficiently interesting to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
BLINDSIGHTED, Karin Slaughter’s first novel in her Grant County series, leaves me surprisingly pleased. I’m surprised because, although her two standalones that I read (COP TOWN and PRETTY GIRLS) are excellent, I was dissatisfied with the two books I read in her Will Trent series. But this series is just different enough to make me want more. So I’m happy that I started this Grant County series at the beginning, i.e., with "Grant County, #1." Now I intend to read the rest of the series in order.

Told from the perspectives of three people in Grant County (Sara, the coroner and a pediatrician; Jeffrey, the police chief and Sara’s ex-husband; and Lena, a detective), BLINDSIGHTED’s plot involves their hunting down and interaction with a serial rapist. But there is more to this novel than that. As with all Slaughter’s novels, BLINDSIGHTED is not only plot driven. The three main characters also have personal stories, including their thoughts and feelings throughout. It is these personal stories that, in the end, leave the reader hanging just enough to make her anxious to read Grant County, #2, KISSCUT. ( )
  techeditor | Apr 15, 2018 |
Good story and suspenseful ( even tho I had figured it out). Definitely worth reading the next in the series. Main characters Sara and Jeff were appealing and they are trying to get back together after horrific murders in their town ( )
  afarrington | Apr 4, 2018 |
I have recently read Karin Slaughter’s stand alone books and have now moved on to her series. As with all her books the violence is extremely brutal and shocking. However if you can handle that then the story and characters are fantastic. It kept me engrossed and on edge all the way through ! ( )
  ChristineW11 | Mar 23, 2018 |

Karin Slaughterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Böhm, IrisSprechermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Early, KathleenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Milder, GabyNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, ClarindaNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ádám, BertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Andrae, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baar, Marry vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Di, FenqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaner, TejaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thoreau, PaulTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tunçman, Lale AykentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daddy,
who taught me to love the South,
and for Billie Bennett,
who encouraged me to write about it
Monday
Sara Linton leaned back in her chair, mumbling a soft "Yes, Mama" into the telephone.
NOTE #1: Please do not separate those copies of "Blindsided" with ISBN 0099421771, even if it appears the ISBN is associated with 2-in-1 editions of Blindsided & Kisscut. ISBN 0099421771 is from a London publishing company. See Amazon.co.uk - their "look inside" edition is of this ISBN; and its copyright page shows the book is of 'Blindsided' only.

NOTE #2: The known english-speaking narrators for the unabridged version of Blindsighted are: Kathleen Early, Gaby Milder, and Clarinda Ross.
If the narrator is Judith Ivey, this is for the ABRIDGED version and SHOULD NOT BE combined here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380820889, Mass Market Paperback)

In Blindsighted (book one of an anticipated three featuring Grant County, Georgia, pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton), first-time novelist Karin Slaughter comes out swinging in true medical examiner fashion. That is to say, covered with blood from the get-go.

Without warning, the body jerked violently, pitching forward and slamming Sara onto the floor. Blood spread out around both of them, and Sara instinctively clawed to get out from under the convulsing woman. With her feet and hands she groped for some kind of purchase on the slick bathroom floor. Finally, Sara managed to slide out from underneath her. She turned Sibyl over, cradling her head, trying to help her through the convulsions. Suddenly, the jerking stopped.

Sibyl is, or was, Sibyl Adams, a college professor who had the misfortune of being drugged, savagely raped, slashed, and left for dead in the toilet of the local diner, to be coincidentally discovered by Sara Linton. Coincidences don't stop there, and neither do the rapes and murders. The next is, unimaginably, still more gruesome than the first and it, too, is discovered by Dr. Linton. Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver is Sara's ex-husband, and mercurial detective Lena Adams, another major player in the ensuing drama, was Sibyl's twin sister.

And the monster behind these increasingly more depraved acts? Suspects abound, from the diner's jack-of-all-trades, Will Harris, to Victim No. 2's boyfriend, to Jack Allen Wright who, a dozen years prior, raped Dr. Linton (that rape had been a secret until now). There are other possibilities, naturally, and it soon becomes apparent that Sara's an intended target.

A graduate of the Patricia Cornwell school of mayhem and gore, Slaughter has faithfully stitched together a fast, engaging, and diverting read complete with a strong-yet-vulnerable heroine. Characters are nicely if somewhat obviously drawn, the plot is inventive, and the narrative's pacing quickens the pulse straight to the cliff-hanging denouement. And really, what more can you ask of an ME thriller? --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

Pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton, her ex-husband and chief of police Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are on the case when a sadistic rapist and murderer begins targeting women in Grant County.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,394,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible