Cavedweller

by Dorothy Allison

The story of Delia, a determined young mother who decides to return to her rural southern hometown after the unexpected death of her second husband. There she must face the two daughters and abusive husband she abandoned a decade ago.

what a story, the strength of women ( )
  betty_s | Nov 27, 2023 |
This was really gorgeous--it took a little bit to get into, but once I got going with it, it was really beautiful and tender while holding all these complicated characters in their entirety. The conclusion really felt right in the larger scheme of things--grappling with the trauma in the family in a way that really both felt real and like resolved without being magically cured. It's just a really beautiful look at the complicated way that love in families happens, the aftermath of that, and what beginning to heal might look like, and I really liked it a lot. ( )
  aijmiller | Aug 17, 2021 |
I've resisted Dorothy Allison for a while, actually for no particular reason, but finally decided to read her. She has a marvelous way with words, an ear for Georgia speech and the rhythms of the land. A sensory world, someone said, and I agree. Once can see Cayro, Georgia, and know the women who live there. Life changes us and what we don't talk about perhaps changes us the most. ( )
  melsbks | Mar 1, 2019 |
There was a little too much religion in this book for my taste. That would have been entirely fine but it's not what I was looking for. There was also too much random information about stuff the just didn't matter. That being said it was just an ok read. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I picked this up after having read Allison's most famous work, Bastard out of Carolina, which was one of the most harrowing emotional reading experiences I have ever had. This book is not nearly so rough to read, but it is still a cutting, insightful and frank exploration of the small-town lives of people often dismissed as "white trash." Not my usual favorite topic, but Allison is an absorbing and talented writer, really able to draw the reader in.
I am STILL impatiently waiting for Allison's promised sci-fi book - an 'excerpt' was published in 1996 which was a truly great story... I don't know if she never finished it, or didn't find a publisher (seems unlikely!)
No fantastic elements in this book, although the main character is a science-fiction fan, and there's enough titles/authors mentioned in the text to send a lot of people in the right direction! (It's not a big part of the story, though.) ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
For Wolf and Alix, my son and my beloved.
They have taught me all I know about healing the heart.
Death changes everything.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,752,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible