The Narrows by Michael Connelly

The Narrows (2004)

by Michael Connelly

English (37)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
This story moves Bosch along in his life, pointing out that he has struggles like the rest of us. Of course, he is stubborn and ill mannered as usual. It brings together people from past stories, giving the author a chance to tie up loose ends. In the end Bosch is back to square one.
I did not like the mix of first and third person. Sometimes I stumbled when it changed direction. Enjoyed the visual imagery of disasters. The first half was slow but the second half went at full speed. ( )
  delta61 | May 29, 2015 |
It just doesn't work when you dilute Bosch with weaker characters. At least McCaleb's gone. Good riddance. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Loved this book!! This was one of my favorites thus far in the Harry Bosch series! I have read the newer books and now going back to read the earlier ones. FBI agent Rachel Walling is involved again as the Poet (serial killer)resurfaces. He is out to track her down once again.

At the same time Former Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch gets a call, too--from the widow of an old friend. Her husband's death seems natural, but his ties to the hunt for the Poet make Bosch dig deep. Arriving at a derelict spot in the California desert where the feds are unearthing bodies, Bosch joins forces with Rachel. Now the two are at odds with the FBI...and squarely in the path of the Poet, who will lead them on a wicked ride out of the heat, through the narrows of evil, and into a darkness all his own. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Getting addicted to Michael Connelly. Harry Bosch is the best mystery/crime character since Travis McGee, IMO. ( )
  jimnicol | Sep 26, 2014 |
this was the first book in the Bosch series where I felt somewhat lost due to reading the books in series order vs. publication order. I hadn't read the Poet and therefore didn't know Backus or Walling. I did know McCaleb though and was sad to see the way his story came to a resolution. The related case was an interesting read and I liked the overlap between Civilian Bosch and the FBI. And Maddie, can't not love Maddie and Eleanor even though I know the end for the latter is near. ( )
  skinglist | Aug 24, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larsson, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rusconi, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All they did was trade one monster for another. Instead of a dragon they now have a snake. A giant snake that sleeps in the narrows and bides its time until the moment is right and it can open its jaws and swallow someone down.
-John Kinsey, father of a boy lost in the narrows. Los Angeles Times, July 21,1956
In memory of Mary McEvoy Connelly Lavelle, who kept six of us out of the narrows
I think maybe I only know one thing in this world.

FBI agent Rachel Walling finally gets the call she's dreaded for years, the one that tells her the Poet has surfaced. She has never forgotten the serial killer who wove lines of poetry in his hideous crimes--and apparently he has not forgotten her.
Former LAPD detective Harry Bosch gets a call, too--from the widow of an old friend. Her husband's death seems natural, but his ties to the hunt for the Poet make Bosch dig deep. Arriving at a derelict spot in the California desert where the feds are unearthing bodies, Bosch joins forces with Rachel. Now the two are at odds with the FBI...and squarely in the path of the Poet, who will lead them on a wicked ride out of the heat, through the narrows of evil, and into a darkness all his own...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

When an infamous serial killer known as the Poet reemerges, FBI agent Rachel Walling, long haunted by her unsuccessful efforts to bring him to justice, receives assistance from LAPD detective Harry Bosch.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,434,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible