Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Tourist Season by Carl Hiaasen

Tourist Season (1986)

by Carl Hiaasen

Only read 100 pages and quit. Too Corny. Will read no more of him. ( )
  pgabj | Sep 28, 2018 |
More of a thriller than a mystery but even more a satire of 1980s Florida and the way PR and newspapers interact. My biggest problem with it wasn't the over-the-top characters but Brian Keyes' decision to not go to the police after he discovered that Skip Wilson was involved. His reasoning behind this decision felt forced and not once did he seem to consider that his own PI license could be revoked for this obstruction. He became in effect an accessory after the fact. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 29, 2018 |
Sarcastic, misanthropic, sexist so-called humor that didn't seem humorous to me. Throw in interesting ways to torture dogs and this is not a book I'd recommend to anyone, but I'm sure people who are annoyed by political correctness will love it. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jul 13, 2018 |
I don't think I clicked with Hiaasen's sense of humor. I can see the potential in the story and the plotline was interesting. I just didn't get along with the execution of the plot. Most parts seemed to drag on and I was waiting forever for the "big event". I didn't like any of the characters, and there weren't even any characters that I loved to hate. I can see how this book would appeal to fans; I just think it didn't match my reading style. The reason I gave this book 3 stars instead of a lower rating was because the ending of the book was perfect. It matched the personality of the characters and no other ending would have been appropriate. I give Hiaasen full credit for fully committing to the plan. ( )
  jguidry | Oct 2, 2017 |
The story was OK. Interesting enough, but not great. I mean, seriously, do you think an f'd up newspaper columnist, a has-been football player and a terrorist who can't build a decent bomb are going to succeed? No. The only mystery here is whether they'll die or if Keyes will finally grow a pair and turn them in.

My biggest issue with the book, though, was the dogs. First, a dog was torn up to lure a retiree to her death. Guess I'm a bit twisted - I felt bad for the retiree, but worse for the dog. Then a bomb is set off at a greyhound track. A landmine. And the dogs are blown inside out. And it's treated so . . . casually . . . it just turned me off. I mean, the dog blown closest to the finish line wins and pays out?

If the story had been really good up to that point, I might've kept reading. But the quirkiness can only carry a book so far.

For me, the characters weren't developed enough to care about and there wasn't enough mystery to make me turn the page.

If you're looking for a quick, shallow read and enjoy dark humor, you might enjoy this book. If you're looking for an interesting mystery that will keep you guessing, this isn't the book for you. ( )
  LLRobinett | Jan 29, 2017 |

Carl Hiaasenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saarinen, OsmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the morning of December 1, a man named Theodore Bellamy went swimming in the Atlantic Ocean off South Florida.

Las Noches de Diciembre (The Nights of December) (affectionately known as Los Nachos), are a small terrorist cell led by renegade newspaper columnist Skip Wiley, a brilliant but crazed Uncle Duke-like character. Wiley believes that the only way to save Florida's Everglades from developers is to dissuade tourists from visiting and settling in Florida. Their preferred weapon of dissuasion is random attacks on tourists, using a giant crocodile called Pavlov to murder them. Local government officials don't want much publicity about the group; musn't cut down on the needed tourist dollars. But deaths begin to occur; and Brian Keyes is hired to protect the Orange Bowl Queen. A multitude of crazy characters about.. there's a football "hero", a Seminole and a Cuban.

The only trace of the first victim was his Shriner's fez washed up on the Miami beach. The second victim, the head of the city's chamber of commerce, was found dead with a toy rubber alligator lodged in his throat. And that was just the beginning... Now Brian Keyes, reporter turned private eye, must move from muckraking to rooting out murder, in a caper that will mix football players, politicians, and police with a group of fanatics and a very hungry crocodile.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:47 -0400)

The only trace of the first victim was his Shriner's fez washed up on the Miami beach. The second victim, the head of the city's chamber of commerce, was found dead with a toy rubber alligator lodged in his throat. And that was just the beginning.... Now Brian Keyes, reporter turned private eye, must move from muckraking to rooting out murder, in a caper that will mix football players, politicians, and police with a group of fanatics and a very hungry crocodile.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible