Striding Folly by Dorothy L. Sayers

Striding Folly

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (Short stories, 15)

In three stories, Lord Peter Wimsey confronts land barons, killers--and fatherhood: "One of the most skillful of mystery writers" (The New York Times). For decades, Lord Peter Wimsey has made life tough for England's criminal class. In town and country he solved some of the most baffling mysteries of the Jazz Age, facing down killers armed only with wit, charm, and a keen nose for deception. His work brought him 1 great reward: the love of beautiful mystery novelist Harriet Vane. After years of pleading, he has finally convinced her to marry him. Now the real adventure begins.   In the final 3 Wimsey stories, Lord Peter confronts land barons, killers, and the terror that comes from raising 3 young sons. Through it all, his clear thinking never fails him, and he solves these last puzzles as successfully as he did his 1st. He may be a family man now, but like good wine, a great detective only gets better with age.   Striding Folly is the 15th book in the Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, but you may enjoy the series by reading the books in any order. This ebook features an illustrated biography of Dorothy L. Sayers including rare images from the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College.… (more)
Recently added byrevafisheye, khrister, sbisson, g33kgrrl, private library, EmiHad, paswanson, dfraser1952, eurohackie

English (12)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
As a teen I loved the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, and read them all after seeing a couple of the BBC productions starring Ian Carmichael. So when I found a book by the same author, and about Lord Peter Wimsey, I expected a winner. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. This volume includes an incredibly long introduction (31 pages!) and three short stories/novellas.

Problems? There wasn't much mystery or suspense. Or maybe Wimsey just doesn't work as well in a shorter format, at least not for me. Or maybe my tastes have changed four decades later. I have no plans for a reread of what I considered to be pablum. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 11, 2017 |
This is a small book, containing only three stories, prefaced by a passionate verbal portrait of Sayers herself, written by Janet Hitchman. Having read the preface, I initially found the first story a let down, but as I progressed through the collection I was more and more fascinated.

The title story, while interesting, was possibly the weakest of the stories across the two collections, with surreal dream sequences, and tortuous plot logic. The other two stories, which as asides show us Wimsey as family man, were more interesting. Having said that, some of the same surreal quality is seen in the second story ("The Haunted Policeman"), told through two viewpoints - that of Wimsey, who has stayed up late while his wife is giving birth, and a local copper (P C Burt) who Wimsey has lured in to tell of the odd events of the night. But here the surreal quality feels more justified - the reality of the copper's experience really was peculiar, and across the telling of the story both Wimsey and Burt become more and more drunk on Wimsey's celebratory champagne, leading to believably vague characterisation.

The final story reads as allegory about the role of society and the family in the rearing of children, with interferring society embodied in the visiting Miss Quirk, who neither Wimsey nor his wife Harriet seem to have any real connection with, but who has been foisted upon them. Woven in amongst the mystery of who, exactly, has stolen which of a neighours peaches, is a pointed commentary on discipline of children and the long-term effects thereof. I'm not convinced that the arguments necessarily held up at the time of writing, and they are very much contrary to what I consider to be current child-rearing wisdom, but as extremes of view and arguments either way, there is an interesting juxtaposition. ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 16, 2017 |
The final 3 short stories about Lord Peter.

I much preferred the second 2 (The Haunted Policeman & Talboys) to the somewhat odd first story (Striding Folly). I particularly liked the way Lord Peter and his eldest son worked together at the end of Talboys! ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 20, 2016 |
Three short stories set later than the novels. The second & third Peter & Harriet have children. Not sure they'd necessarily work if you didn't know the characters from the novels, as there's so much less space for fleshing out a character in a short story than there is in a novel. But entertaining inspite of that reservation. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |
Not to be read for enjoyment. Didactic short stories to allow Sayers to demonstrate her dislike of electricity and people who don't beat their children. ( )
1 vote themulhern | Dec 31, 2012 |

Dorothy L. Sayersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carmichael, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hitchman, JanetIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This short story collection contains the short stories "Striding Folly", "The Haunted Policeman", and "Talboys". Please do not combine it with the short story of the same name.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,712,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible