The Murders of Richard III (1974)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Jacqueline Kirby (2)

7722021,450 (3.55)39
Second book in the Jacqueline Kirby series. Jacqueline Kirby is invited to an English country mansion for a weekend costume affair. The hosts and guests, all fanatic devotees of King Richard III, hope to clear his name of the five- hundred-year-old accusation of murder. Jacqueline is amused at first at the group's eccentricities, until the antics of a practical joker become more and more macabre, and one at last proves fatal.… (more)
    The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (cbl_tn, Cynara)
    Cynara: Both books are, broadly speaking, mysteries debunking the popular misconceptions around Richard III; Tey's book is entirely concerned with the subject, and Peters' does so as a sort of subplot, in addition to a more traditional mystery. I'd suggest reading Tey first, as her mystery has less to offer once you've read Peters.… (more)

Sort of an English country-house mystery, but with the question of Richard III's reputation at the center. Not quite as good as The Daughter of Time, but still an engaging read. ( )
  JBD1 | Apr 13, 2019 |
Jacqueline Kirby moves closer to the center stage in this book. I like that I was brought up to speed about Richard III and the alternative opinions about what his actions must have been. Perhaps he wasn't the scoundrel that the Tudors (and therefore Shakespeare) made him to be.

There's a nice mystery within the story, beyond the mystery of who killed the young princes. There were paths I was led down, but the author played fair. All the information to solve the mystery was there. And I loved the oh-so-typical English house party location.

While it is nice to read the series in order, this book stands alone should people want to start here. If you like cozy mysteries or are interested in English history, I think you'd like this book. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Oct 27, 2016 |
Not nearly as enjoyable as the first in this series. ( )
  rwilliams2911 | Jun 21, 2016 |
I'm a huge, avid fan of Barbara Michaels. I haven't read much of her Elizabeth Peters stuff yet. This one was great fun as the group is inside a castle rich with mystery, wondering about who did what, suspecting everyone and exploring every hidden corner with extra caution. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Long before I got involved with Amelia Peabody, I read this for its setting in a take of the Richard III Society --rather a sardonic version, in fact --carefully described as a breakaway group led by a wealthy eccentric who believes he is an illegitimate descendent of Richard III (this being before such a claim could be reliably DNA tested) --unlike the real Ricardians, but a little like the SCA, the guests at this event dress up as people from Richard III's time, and then someone starts acting out their supposed deaths --it begins seemingly as a rough joke, but turns deadly. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 17, 2015 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conlin, GraceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walther, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Econ Krimi (25198)
To Marge A dear friend and a fellow-traveller along the thorny by-ways of Ricardian research
The portrait was that of a man.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,841,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible