Young Henry of Navarre by Heinrich Mann

Young Henry of Navarre (1935)

by Heinrich Mann

A book not only about exactly traced historical events, but as well about beauty, unashamed sexuality, and friendship. First and foremost a declaration of love to France and French hedonism.
  hbergander | Dec 16, 2011 |
I read this book after watching the 1994 film La Reine Margot, about Henri IV of France and his queen. I remember when the movie got an Oscar for best costumes, which I totally agreed with. I am not one to care very much about costumes, but the costumes and the cinematography were like nothing I had ever seen before. It was great to see decadent monarchical families from earlier centuries when they did not have to deal with the same proprieties and concerns about political correctness that we do today. I guess if you were a king or a queen, you did not have to worry about being in the newspapers the same way you do now. I guess you could always have your priest or your confessor on your case if you did something wrong. That is one part of the movie that I enjoyed the most.
However, I should be concentrating her on the book. As I was mentioning, I was first inspired to seek out Heinrich Mann and any of his books, by association with his brother Thomas, and books by him that I had been reading. After watching the movie described above, I realized that there was a link to the same subject, and I did a special order of this book, and the subsequent volume, from one of my local bookstores, because the library did not have it at that time. Someday, I would like to read this book in the original language. But it is about 15 years ago now, so I do not remember the style too well. I was shocked by the brutality of the killing on the St. Bartholomew Day Massacre, but why should I be, because there are things going on today that are just as brutal. Things never change.
  libraryhermit | Feb 19, 2010 |
Der Knabe war klein, die Berge waren ungeheuer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,143,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible