Book of Dreams (1961)

by Jack Kerouac

"Book of Dreams is Jack Kerouac's record of his dream life, a parallel autobiography of the soul, the sleeper's On the Road."--Jacket.

Another great book by Kerouac. It was an experimental one that dealt with many of his dreams, which put themselves as reflections throughput the course of his writing career (and particularly during the period where he was writing On the Road.) I thought the little anecdotal style, when it came to each dream, allowed one to absorb themselves in Kerouac's subconscious and linked themselves together by their order and organization. It was a pleasing read and I recommend it to all interested in Kerouac's writing.

4 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jun 24, 2019 |
I was so intrigued by the title of this book and for the fact that i've heard and read lot of reviews about On the road. Jack Kerouac belongs to the Beat generation which includes Allen Ginsburg's Howl.

So I picked up this book and began reading on the train journey back home. Somehow, books read during train journeys affect me a lot. However, this book really did affect my mind so much that I couldn't fathom or focus on the ideas written by Kerouac. His dreams are just way too different than us common people. He writes in a very fractured manner in the book. It looked interesting as i read his list of characters who interchange names with a few of his other books. However, could not make sense of such a decision. And when someone picks up a book with such a potentially charming title, one expects too much....probably that's what happened to me.

I was eager to delve through the dreams of a wanderer's mind...but the wanderer did disappoint with his haywire anecdotes that ended up mostly tiring my mind. What was supposed to be a beautiful narrative that would have made me (and other readers) fall in love with Kerouac simply ends up being too complicated and gawky. I am a bit sceptical now about starting On the road.

Thankfully Ginsburg did not disappoint with Howl. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |

Kerouac, JackAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank, RobertCover Photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Legacy Library: Jack Kerouac

Jack Kerouac has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Jack Kerouac's legacy profile.

See Jack Kerouac's author page.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,034,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible