The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s Over Germany 1944-45 (2001)

by Stephen E. Ambrose

The stories of the Army Air Forces' B24 pilots and crews who were stationed in Italy and flew combat missions over Germany during World War II.

Stephen Ambrose has produced some excellent books - Undaunted Courage, an account of the Lewis and Clark expedition is outstanding - but this historical work felt 'put together', and somehow unconsidered. Still, a worthy tale and not without merit - particularly good description of wartime bombing missions. ( )
  DramMan | Jan 22, 2022 |
Crafty way Ambrose used George McGovern as a proxy for thousands of men who flew B-24s in WWII....personalizes the experience for all of us. The book comprises many small stories, all tied together in a way that makes the reader believe. It's all about the B-24 and the men who flew it. There are many people in the book and sometimes I found myself asking: "who is it, again?" There is some discussion of the argument between strategic bombing and tactical support of the Army--the reason we have a U.S. Air Force. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 29, 2020 |
Loved it. Ambrose doesn't pore over combat the way some historians of WWII do, he would rather talk about the people. Little details are more interesting to him than the bigger picture. A charming book. ( )
  glenncvance | Aug 26, 2020 |
My dad was an nose gunner in a B-24 in WW2. This gave me a good idea of what he experienced as a flyer. ( )
  notalice | Mar 28, 2020 |
HUGE, huge disappointment. I expected a book about the Liberator and it's missions, not a life of George McGovern. Who cares about him? First time I didn't finish a book and I blame it on poor research. I should have read people's reviews. Stephen Ambrose's worst book. ( )
  MikeDI | May 27, 2018 |
For Eleanor
PROLOGUE:
The B-24 was built like a 1930s Mack truck, except that it had an aluminum skin that could be cut with a knife. It could carry a heavy load far and fast but it had no refinements. ...
The pilots and crews of the B-24s came from every state and territory in America. They were young, fit, eager. ... They were all volunteers. The U.S. Army Air Corps--after 1942 the Army Air Forces--did not force anyone to fly. ...
"We chose the name Liberator because this airplane can carry destruction to the heart of the Hun, and thus help you and us to liberate those millions temporarily finding themselves under Hitler's yoke.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,344,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible