Veronica by Mary Gaitskill

Veronica (2005)

by Mary Gaitskill

I'm glad that I finally read this book. I found that the initial feeling of emotional detachment the narrator exhibited was off-putting, but as the book went on, it really grew on me as a way to differentiate how she felt about the past versus the feelings she had from the slice of life we got to see from her in the present. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Veronica was ordered because Mary Gaitskill's THE MARE was quite good.

This one is not.
It has a fully disgusting opening description of the main character's
view of a canal near her apartment.

Boring and contrived dreams then alternate with a ton of depressing events.
60s cliches are introduced for shock value.

There's even the obligatory modern novel animal cruelty with a puppy.

Very disappointing. ( )
  m.belljackson | Oct 26, 2016 |
Ugh. Utterly depressing drivel, the whole way through. ( )
1 vote lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I could not get into this book. Very slow paced-lots of description and no plot. Not my kind of book. ( )
1 vote Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Edgy, and a little seedy. I think the frequent references to liver (both metaphorical and medical) creeped me out a bit. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
For B.C. and R.D.
When I was young, my mother read me a story about a wicked little girl.
"I told them I loved them. Now I can't think why. Perhaps it was simply that , in each case, I was the woman and he was the man. And that was enough."
"I didn't realize how badly I had been hurt. I didn't realize that my habit of distance had become so unconscious and deep that I didn't know how to be with another person. I could only fix that person in my imagination and turn him this way and that, trying to feel him, until my mind was tired and raw."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037572785X, Paperback)

Alison and Veronica meet amid the nocturnal glamour of 1980s New York: One is a young model stumbling away from the wreck of her career, the other an eccentric middle-aged office temp. Over the next twenty years their friendship will encompass narcissism and tenderness, exploitation and self-sacrifice, love and mortality. Moving seamlessly from present and past, casting a fierce yet compassionate eye on two eras and their fixations, the result is a work of timeless depth and moral power.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

As a teenager on the streets of San Francisco, Alison is discovered by a photographer and swept into the world of fashion-modeling in Paris and Rome. When her career crashes and a love affair ends disastrously, she moves to New York City to build a new life. There she meets Veronica--an older wisecracking eccentric with her own ideas about style, a proofreader. Improbably, the two women become friends. Their friendship will survive not only Alison's reentry into the seductive nocturnal realm of fashion, but also Veronica's terrible descent into the then-uncharted realm of AIDS. The memory of their friendship will continue to haunt Alison years later, when she, too, is aging and ill and is questioning the meaning of what she experienced and who she became during that time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible