SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Visions of Gerard (1963)

by Jack Kerouac

521936,265 (3.69)10
"My best most serious sad and true book yet." --Jack Kerouac "His life . . . ended when he was nine and the nuns of St. Louis de France Parochial School were at his bedside to take down his dying workds becase they'd heard his astonishing revelations of heaven delivered in catechism on no more encouragement than it was his turn to speak. . . ." Unique among Jack Kerouac's novels, Visions of Gerard focuses on the scenes and sensations of childhood--the wisdom, anguish, intensity, innocence, evil, insight, suffering, delight, and shock--as they were revealed in the short tragic-happy life of his saintly brother, Gerard. Set in Kerouac's hometown of Lowell, Massachusetts, it is an unsettling, beautiful, and sad exploration of the meaning and precariousness of existence.… (more)
    Dr. Sax by Jack Kerouac (joemontibello)
    joemontibello: Both novels that focus on Kerouac's early life in Lowell, MA.

Holy Gerard. Angel, saint, Jesus reincarnated! Amazing artistic talent and superior intellect! So kind and loving! Perfection at the age of nine! Ridiculous...

One hundred and thirty pages rambled on like this, with a little bit about his dad’s night out, gambling and drinking. Gerard tames animals and birds, gives words of heeling to all, and deals out thoughtful philosophy at the drop of a hat. This book was so over the top with praise for his brother that I could barely muscle through it. So much effusive sentimental clap-trap, I could hardly believe it was published. This story is almost as bad as his poetry. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 27, 2021 |
I picked this title off a used bookstore shelf in Bryson City, North Carolina along with Dharma Bums. I have always been mildly interested in Kerouac's work since being introduced to him in the Eleventh grade. Dharma Bums was a good read, but for some reason I put off Visions of Gerard until this weekend. It took Tropical Storm Isaac & 72 hours inside my own home to make me...

Read the rest of this review on my blog: http://jmnz.us/NZyTh8 ( )
  cjmnz8 | Dec 12, 2020 |
The saddest of all Jack Kerouac's books. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |
While this book is notorious for being pretty unique to the Kerouac canon and standing out because of that, while there are those who do like this book, as a Kerouac fan, naturally I've read it a couple of times, but honestly, it does little for me, the writing feels ... I guess not at all like his later works, and I really prefer quite a few other books of his. Nonetheless, an important read for the Kerouac fan. Casual readers? I'd avoid it and I certainly wouldn't start with this. It's difficult for me to justify even giving it three stars, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I'm biased for him. At least I'm honest about it! ;) ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 24, 2020 |
This was a decent Kerouac novel, but I feel it did not capture the intensity and meaning that his other works have. Nevertheless, the development of character was striking in this one. It seemed like parts of it were not as structured and wowing as I have seen demonstrated in the rest of Kerouac's oeuvre. Still, it was a decent Kerouac book and I still think it's important and, due to its very minimal length, should still be read for those interested in his work.

3.25 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jun 24, 2019 |

"The Legend of Duluoz" begins with this novel which describes the first years of Kerouac's childhood and the death of his brother Gerard in 1926, when Jack was four years old.

Legacy Library: Jack Kerouac

Jack Kerouac has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Jack Kerouac's legacy profile.

See Jack Kerouac's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,337,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible